Sunday, October 29, 2017

1,000 running miles for 2017 and I ain't a spring chicken anymore

Today on my run around the neighborhood I hit the 1,000 mile mark for 2017. It's only the fourth time in my life I've ever done this.
Yay me!
I ran 1,000 on the nose in 2014, so I'm already at my third-highest yearly mileage of my life. I hit 1,141 in 2015, which I will probably surpass. I did 1,313 in 2013, the only calendar year I've done two marathons, and I don't expect to exceed that.

It hasn't been the best year running but this is a big accomplishment for me, and I'm proud of my hard work.

On the subject of hard work, I ran my first double-digit run in months a week ago. My knee is STILL bothering me a bit.

I don't have any real cartilage in my left knee after a freak trampoline accident when I was 15 followed by years of playing tennis and then running. I've been to an orthopedist, and he said I don't need surgery or a scope or anything, so the best thing I can do is keep my leg muscles strong. Running and lifting weights usually keeps me pain free, but I overdid it last week for sure.

I only ran a couple times this week but I was definitely feeling it after mile 4 or so. Today I went out for 8 and was mostly fine, although I was definitely being very careful with form.

I turn 38 in a few weeks and I can't keep pretending that I'm 22. Sigh.






No comments:

Post a Comment