Monday, June 12, 2017

Week in review June 5-11: Great start, disappointed in in the ending

A nice variety, and lots of lifting.
I kicked off last week with a bang: Not one, but TWO workouts on Monday: a run followed by a weights video. I had solid workouts Tuesday and Wednesday but, sadly, some situations popped up and I had to take a few days off training, resulting in a pretty pitiful week for running.

I knew I was going to lose most if not all of Sunday to a family event, but I got to hang out with both of my grandmothers for a while (and both are in their 80s!) and catch up with some cousins, so I’m not going to complain about that. More frustratingly, a side business situation popped up Thursday that lasted into Friday, and I didn’t get to train either day. I did get in a decent Saturday of training, but opted to take advantage of the street closed to traffic to bike on the road, and never did get in a third run. Grrrr.

As a result, I actually spent more time lifting weights than running. I don’t know if that’s ever happened before! By the numbers, it was:

Weights: Twice, one video and one round of my heavy/body routine, for about 2:15. Admittedly, sometimes I slack off a bit during weights videos, but this time I really focused on correct form and lunging/squatting/lifting enough to fatigue, and I definitely felt a difference. I also managed to do a few extra band-assisted chin-ups and pull-ups from last week, and my lat or whatever muscle (that one right behind the armpit) wasn’t sore for quite as long afterward this time.

Run: Twice (ugh), both on the road, for 13.75 miles in about 2:07. This was one easy run and one speedy run of half-mile repeats.

Bike: Once on the road for 30 miles in just longer than 2 hours, which, yes, means I was slower than 15 mph. WTH. There was crazy wind both out and back, and it was hot, but I didn’t feel bad. I have no idea what was going on. I tried to be thankful that I was outside in the fresh air and sunshine and able to move my body, but dang, that was slow even for me.

Swim: Once in the pool for 2000 meters in an hour. Again, slow. BUT, I really didn’t want to go and I forced myself, so that was a victory in itself. I also was on the verge of a foot cramp the whole time, but luckily it never evolved into a full cramp. I had made sure to drink pickle juice ahead of time, too. I’m not sure if I just need to get back in the pool more often to prevent these cramps, or what – I can’t eat bananas anymore but I do eat spinach, tomatoes and potatoes almost every day and those supposedly have even more potassium, so who knows??? So frustrating.

Total: 6 sessions in a bit less than 7.5 hours. Not terrible, but missing three training days really stings. This also means that almost half of my training for the week was done on Saturday. Well, I guess that’s what happens when you have to work for a living, right?

Even though it was in the 90s today and probably tomorrow too, I started off this week with a run and I am hoping to carry that momentum into the rest of the week. I will hit double-digit hours training one of these weeks, high temps be darned!




No comments:

Post a Comment