Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Week in review May 2-8 (finally): Just happy to be done


This last week was crazypants and honestly, I'm not sad to see it behind me. I'm on a mini-vacation right now to Canada and this time on the train is the only time I've had to myself to catch up on writing, personal reading, posting, etc.

The good news in reviewing this week is that I thought I would have to work a few evenings, but my boss ended up calling me off and I went for runs instead. I did have to work alllllllllll day Saturday, and although I should have gone for a nice ride on Sunday, I went for another short run instead. My knee and IT band were a little sore from the day before, and I knew I would be less mad if I had to walk 2 miles home rather than bail on a ride I had driven an hour to get to.

Another piece of good news was that this was the best running week I've had in a while. I've successfully built up to three runs per week with no IT band pain. Hooray! Plus, 14.25 miles is my biggest weekly total in months. Hooray again! It's small potatoes compared to where I was a year ago, but a few months ago I couldn't run at all, so I'm very pleased with my progress.

Here's last week by the numbers:

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 1800 meters + 1750 yards in a bit less than 1.5 hours. This included having to get out of the pool early one night due to a no-show lifeguard, and trying out a new-to-me pool another night. Otherwise, nothing remarkable.

Bike: Only once, on the trainer, for 1.25 hours. I prioritized running during the week to take advantage of the nice-weather days and never did get away for a longer road ride.

Run: THREE times, all on the road, for 14.25 miles in about 2 hours, 20 minutes. Two of these were a bit speedy for where I'm at right now, with a few "hills" (aka southeastern Michigan hills aka bumps) thrown in, and they both felt good. The last was an easy shakeout on legs tired from being on my feet on concrete the entire day before. My IT band was a bit tender but I took it nice and easy, and didn't aggravate it further.

Weights: I managed to get through my entire heavy/bodyweight lifting routine in two sessions, after both of my weekday runs, in about an hour. All of my squat muscles were sore for days afterward, so I obviously needed it.

Total: 8 sessions in just longer than 6 hours.

I'll be surprised if I get in any good training this week, but that's OK — it's a vacation. I'll be home by Saturday night so the most I might squeeze in is a run and some yoga Sunday. Hopefully, with work settled down a bit I can get into a better training groove and start hitting some good numbers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment