Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week in review February 22-28: A few "first in a long time" things

A great week overall.
I had a work event yesterday that ran late, so I'm behind here and everywhere else in life. You know how it goes. BUT, the good news is I had a solid training week last week.

There were a bunch of "first in a long time" things, like I mentioned in my headline. It was my first double-digit training hours week in a while (while I wasn't on vacation, anyway), my longest run since the marathon, and my fastest mile since the marathon. It was the first time in a few weeks I lifted weights twice, the first time in a while I bumped up the weights for a few moves, the first time in at least a few weeks I did a full round of rehab ... and there might be a few others, too.

Anyway, broken down by discipline:

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 5600 meters total in about 2:23. I had an epiphany that I can get out of the pool after an hour instead of closing it down, which changed the whole mood of my Monday swim. My Friday swim wasn't great but at least I was in there.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 4.5 hours total. This worked out to two weekday rides of 1:15 and one longer weekend ride of 2 hours. Nothing special here, I just got it done.

Run: Twice, one quick run on the treadmill and a run outside in ridiculous 62-degree weather, for 7 miles total in 1:12. Slow and steady wins the race. I had some discomfort but no real pain in my IT band, it was my longest run since October, I managed a sub-10:00 mile, it was beautiful sunshiney weather... just an overall great day.

Weights: Twice, once using heavy weights/body weight and one video, for about 1:50. I was going to do my plyo moves after the video on Sunday, but my blood sugar started to drop and I needed to rest and take in some sugar instead.

Pre-hab: A full round! My ankles/arches/toes exercises, hip-strenthening moves, and glute routine, for about 1:05 total.

Total: 12 sessions in almost exactly 11 hours. Wow! The only thing I didn't get to do last week was any yoga.

I'm happy with how the week shook out. I trained about as much as I could, and I'm happy with what I accomplished. I feel like it was a solid week of building a base for the season to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment