Monday, March 28, 2016

Week in review March 21-27: Too much sugar, not enough training

Fueled by jelly beans.
Two weeks ago, cheese was my nemesis. This week, it was sugar.

I’m not sure why, every year, I think I need to buy candy and goodies for Easter. I had family over yesterday and everyone brought sweets. My mom made a multi-layered cake with Peeps around the outside, for heaven’s sake! My teeth felt ready to rot out of my head by the end of the day. Between Easter, the Girl Scouts hitting me hard for cookie sales, and my husband bringing me back my favorite baked good from San Francisco, I’ve been going heavy on the sugar.

Not gonna lie, though; the coffee cake we’ve been eating these last few days was AMAZING. I’ll take another day or two, enjoy it, and then throw away what doesn’t get eaten.

In between sugary snack sessions, I did some training, too. Here’s how the week shook out:

Swim: Twice in the pool for 5600 meters total in about 2:22. I had Friday off, so I swam in the afternoon instead of the evening, and I managed my fastest 100 meters in two years. I thought I would barf and/or die, but I did it.

Bike: One shorter weekday session and one weekend “long ride” for 3:15 total. Nothing special here. Trainer rides got shuffled around a bit trying to fit in outside runs while the weather was warm, and by the end of the day Thursday, a normal riding day, I was just DONE.

Run: Twice, both very slow runs outside on warm-weather days, for 9 miles in about 1:37. The good: 9 miles is my highest mileage week since October, and my 6-miler was my longest “long run” since then, too. The bad: These were SLOOOOOOW runs. I went with my husband Tuesday, and he is slower than me, so no big deal there. I love when he comes with me. But on Sunday, weighed down by Easter goodness, I just could not get my act together. I felt like one of those dancing hippos from the movie “Fantasia” – slow and not at all graceful. It was a struggle.

Me running yesterday.
Yoga: One Sunday-night session for 20 minutes while watching The Walking Dead. (I know, I know.) When I settled into double pigeon my tailbone cracked several times up my spine so loudly my husband heard it. I definitely needed the stretch!

Total: Seven sessions in 7:34. Eh, not terrible. On one hand, I feel like I should have taken better advantage of my day off and long weekend. On the other, I had fun spending time with family and friends all weekend and celebrating Easter.

We’re getting more crazy warm weather this week so, hopefully, I’ll get in another outdoor run or two. I really need to kick my own butt into gear for weights and pre-hab, though – it has been too long. Ugh – there are only so many hours in the day. And I’ve already allotted many of them to my sugar consumption, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment