Friday, August 1, 2014

July in review: Some big bike mileage and a couple running streaks

Some decent weekly totals for July.
July was a decent month. I got on my bike for my longest mileage on two wheels ever, I was pretty consistent in the pool and lake, and I managed a 5-day and a 6-day running streak during my lighter work weeks. Not too shabby.

By the numbers:

Swim: A total of 20,250 meters, which works out to about 12 and 2/3 miles, done in 6 pool swims and 5 lake swims. That's a bit less than 3 swims per week, which I'm OK with. Plus, nearly half of my swims in the lake? I can't be mad at all that open water practice.

Bike: On the road, I logged four long rides of 46-60 miles on the weekends, which is the most mileage I've done. Hooray! That's 211 miles all together. During the week, I also logged 9 morning trainer sessions, all at 1 hour, 15 minutes, for an additional 11 hours and 15 minutes in the saddle.

Run: I had a good month with 135 miles total in 20 runs. I've done a few better during marathon training, but 135 is still a solid performance from me. There were a few stretches in there where I didn't get to run after work for days, and then I had a 5-day and a 6-day streak in there. It all balanced out. In all, that worked out to 4 LSD runs, 3 speed workouts, 3 bricks, 3 medium-distance runs with pickups, 6 easy, and 1 race.

Other: My non-swim, -bike- and -run workouts are really starting to suffer with the increased mileage, but when it comes down to it, I have to prioritize. I did 2 weights videos, 1 session of pre-hab, and went on a couple longer-than-usual dog walks over the month.

So, what do I want to focus on for August?

Swim: Keep up with the consistency and lake swims. I already have the distance down, and I realistically don't think I'll get much faster, so I want to focus on being comfortable and smooth in the water.

Bike: Again, consistency. Trainer rides during the week, long road rides on the weekend. Practice eating and drinking. Maybe, just maybe, get comfortable riding in aero.

Run: Keep practicing bricks. Keep up with the long runs. Throw some more speed work into the mix. Run after work when I can and in the morning when I need to. Log a few more miles than in July.

Other: These workouts are going to be lower priority, but I should at least do some pre-hab and yoga this month.

Overall, I want to have fun, remember that this is supposed to be fun, and have a great race ... in only 23 days. Eeeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment