Monday, August 18, 2014

Week in review 11-17 August: I guess we'll call it an early taper

Not my best week.
Well, I had decent training in the middle of the week. But the beginning and end were complete busts, sadly.

Monday was a wash, literally. In the morning, I was still recovering from my first 20-miler of the cycle the day before, and by evening we were having a historic flood that made it difficult to even drive home. I got to bed too late and too stressed to do much Tuesday morning. And I had an event Tuesday evening that I couldn't miss.

I hit Wednesday, Thursday and Friday hard, with either swimming or a bike trainer ride in the morning and a run in the evening. Nothing seemed to go right on Saturday and I didn't get out to the park until hours after I would have liked, but I did have a good swim, bike and run once I finally got there.

But, the disaster continued Saturday night. We made the mistake of heading downtown for dinner while both a One Direction concert and the Tigers game were happening. We were trapped in the parking garage for a while and finally got home hours after I would have liked. Not happy.

Then, I woke up Sunday feeling like I had been run over by a truck. After some careful thinking back to the day before, I realized I was severely dehydrated. Four and half hours of training Saturday, a salty barbecue dinner with one drink, and hardly any water — no wonder I felt terrible! By the time I felt human again, I had family and friend commitments. I never did go for my long run.

Swim: Twice in the pool and once in the lake for about 2.5 hours.

Bike: Once on the trainer and one 49-mile ride on the road for a total of 4.5 hours.

Run: One tempo run, one easy run, one speed run (half-mile repeats) and one quick brick for a total of 22.75 miles in about 3.75 hours.

Total: About 10.75 hours.

Let's call it a stepback week to start an early taper. Not much I can do about it now, right? It's time to rest up and get in a few easy workouts until race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment