Monday, May 31, 2021

May 24-30 week in review: Funky weather, a work snafu, and my longest run in weeks

I have my computer screen shots back! (There was a secret folder in my trash I hadn't emptied. Ha.)
Things were almost completely back to normal by last week. I got a good start to the week with my usual Monday and Tuesday trainer rides and mobility or PT, and core on Monday. Ho, hum.

Wednesday evening I came back inside from my run to find about 16 texts from my assistant director and work team trying to sort through an "emergency." I usually do an easier weights video or barre workout on Wednesdays but I wasn't able to make it happen last week. I did squeeze my mobility work around writing content and sending emails, but I didn't even eat my reheated dinner until 9 p.m. I couldn't make a weights workout happen that day.

On Friday it was randomly freezing cold outside. I was determined to run after work but had to layer on leggings and a light hat and gloves. Ridiculous for the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I tried to make it a speed run with two rounds of three miles descending, but I wasn't shattering any records. Still, it was nice to try to run a bit faster for the first time in a while.

On Sunday I decided I wanted to try for a long-ish run. For me, "long" is anything between 10 miles and 2 hours; anything longer than that is almost exclusively reserved for marathon training. It would be my first double digit run since my virtual half four weeks ago. It went almost perfectly fine. I had some random sharp, stabbing pains in my left knee right at the turnaround point, enough that it was starting to affect my gait, but this has happened before. I tried to land as softly and with as good form as possible, and it seemed to work itself out after another mile or two. Any day I don't have to call home for a ride from my long run is a good day.

The weather was pretty much back to normal by Sunday and it's looking to be typical summer temps starting this week. Hopefully I won't have to break out the hat and gloves again for a while.
Decent week overall.
By the numbers, last week was:

Bike: Four times, all in the trainer, for 76.5 fake trainer miles in about 4:39.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 26.25 miles (total happenstance) in about 4:11 (which is also right about my marathon PR!).

PT/Pre-hab: Six times, three mobility and three running PT, for about 3:45.

Weights: Twice, one core and one heavy/body routine, for about 1:45.

Yoga: Three times, all with the Down dog app on run days, for about 45 minutes. I had good intentions to do a longer session on Sunday after my run, but I decided getting groceries was more important, and did my usual short session later.

Total: 18 sessions in just longer than 15 hours. Not a bad week at all, even if I had to cut out one mid-week weights workout.

My outdoor pool is open and in full swing and I want to get out there for some laps soon. I didn't want to try to manage the crowds over Memorial Day weekend, but I hope to get in a few weekday swims in the next few weeks. I don't have any races on the calendar yet, so right now it's all about getting in the runs, trainer rides, PT, weights, and yoga when I can.

I hope you are still staying healthy, safe, and warm... or cool... whatever the weather is throwing at you these days.




No comments:

Post a Comment