Wednesday, May 5, 2021

April in review: Consistent volume, consistent workouts

I feel like a broken record here but things have been and continue to be boring training-wise. Which, I'm not really complaining. It could be a lot worse than boring.

My training volume has been pretty consistent this year so far at 58-64 hours per month and 72-83 actual loggable workouts/training sessions, and April fell right in the middle of that with 63.5-ish hours and 79 loggable sessions. I have been almost robotically consistent with my routine, save for skipping a session the day of and going light the day after my second COVID vaccine. (I was VERY lucky to have almost no side effects for the second shot.)

I went back to work full-time, losing my Wednesday furlough day, at the end of March. Making a full-time salary again is nice but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss having a day off mid-week to grocery shop and do my long run. I've tried to keep "workout Wednesdays" a thing since my husband has a commitment in the evenings and I can throw in a mid-week weights workout without too much trouble. But it is NOT the same. Oh well. Like I said, not a real problem.

Side note: My Numbers keeps crashing and I lost my previous charts, and I don't feel like rebuilding them tonight just so I can compare month to month, so I have Google Doc spreadsheets graphics and Garmin Connect screen shots instead. I'll try to build them again for May.

April, in summary:



Close enough.

Bike: 17 times, all on the trainer, for not quite 20 hours, and 317 fake trainer miles. This is pretty close to what I've been doing all year. It works out to four rides per week, three rides of about an hour during the week and another ride of about 1.5 hours on Saturdays. Among the workouts were a "failed" FTP test that I still felt good about.

Run: 12 times, all outside, for 15.5 hours over -- get this -- 97.5 miles. This was my face when I added this up to find 97.5 miles:

Me realizing I logged 97.5 running miles for April

The funny things is, I HAD added up my totals near the end of the month, and thought I was closer to 90 than 100. Oh, well. I'm a writer for my day job, not a mathematician.

PT: 26 times, 14 mobility and 12 running PT, for about 15:30. I'm PT-ing almost as much as I'm running which, let's be honest, at age 41 is where I need to be. It's definitely not hurting and I am feeling stronger and more mobile out there.

Weights: 11 times -- a good mix of videos, my heavy/body routine, and my barre app plus core every MFing Monday -- over about 9:40. I can now do more pullups and chinups than I ever could in my life and I am ready to rock tank top season, but more importantly I just feel stronger and more solid when I run and bike. The core work is definitely helping.

Yoga: 13 times, every run day plus one extra, via my Down Dog yoga app for 3:15 overall. I'm still "forcing" myself to do yoga on run days and some days I do it late, but I've always knocked it out. I just feel stretchier overall, and better mentally afterward. I'd like to add a few more sessions into my life but I am making this work for now.

Total: 79 sessions over about 63:42. A nice, solid month.

I didn't make it to the pool at all. Now that I have both vaccines, I feel a bit more comfortable exploring my swimming options. I'm hoping to get back to it this coming month.

May is already off to a good start and having a good foundation for these past few months certainly doesn't hurt. I'm really hoping I can race this year but even if I can't, I'm still having a good time challenging myself with these steady, consistent workouts at home.

Happy training and stay safe out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment