Thursday, April 11, 2019

Physical therapy check-in: I'm going, but I don't have to be happy about it

Thera-bands are my new best friends.
I'm back in physical therapy and have gone to three sessions so far. It's too early to tell how it's really going, but I do know that I can definitely feel the moves they have me do, so I presume it's working.

I do a lot of hamstring stretching, straight forward and also while twisting this way and that. I do resistance stuff. I flex various leg muscles in various positions. I do this weird move where I do a pelvic raise and then slide my left leg out and back in. It's not fun, but I know it's necessary.

But still, I don't have to be happy about it. My therapist told me yesterday that I was absolutely NOT cleared for returning to running yet. I am missing my tentative goal half marathon this Saturday. PT takes forever and is expensive. I haven't been doing any of my knee PT homework because now this hamstring stuff takes priority. I made a note in my training log Monday: "I'm going to have the longest PT exercise list in the history of injured runners." And this is just a strain and some weakness!!!

Some slightly good news is that my therapist doesn't think I need to do in-person sessions more than once a week. And, most of the random pain has calmed down, so it doesn't hurt to sit with pressure on the hamstring, and it doesn't hurt to walk. I am still biking and lifting weights (mostly). The sky is not completely on fire.

My big concern is how on earth I am going to manage these hours of PT exercises, returning to running, maintaining bike and strength fitness, going to the pool occasionally, doing some yoga occasionally — all while working a full-time job and not eating junk food three times a day. I am overwhelmed just thinking about it! And I don't even have kids! Sheesh.

Until my next session, you can find me in my living room, re-building that hamstring strength. To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment