Friday, August 26, 2016

Five things (late on a) Friday: Summer edition

Boo.
Today was the last unofficial work day of summer. Everything starts up again as normal on Monday, I didn’t get to leave a few hours early today, and I even wore real work pants and shoes instead of the khakis and sandals that became my summer Friday work wardrobe. Sad face.

Even though I’ve taken a step back from triathlon as I figure out what my next challenge is going to be, I still had fun this summer. Sports-related, the top hits were probably:

1. I volunteered for the first time at a triathlon

2. I had my first DNF and DNS

3. I attended a few barre classes to shake things up (barre fans will understand the joke)

4. I ran a fun 5K with my husband

5. I “hiked” in Yosemite National Park, possibly the most beautiful place I’ve ever been

Not really one “thing,” but I also built my running mileage back up to a 29-mile week and a 65-mile month (still shooting for 70 in August!), without re-aggravating my SI joint or IT band. (Knock wood.)

Not related to fitness, five other fun things I did this summer were:

1. Traveled to Toronto, suburban Chicago, and California

2. Finally upgraded my phone, haha (I have the habit of using a phone until my apps can no longer be supported by the software)

3. Attended a few high school graduation parties and hung out with cousins moving away to college soon

4. Went to a Tigers game AND a Giants game while I was in San Fran

5. Ate my weight in barbecue while hanging out with friends

I wish that I had done more actual training and a few triathlons, but overall it was still a great summer.

I’m not doing a fall marathon (although a half is still on the table), but I’m still looking forward to cooler fall running. I’m not a pumpkin spice latte fan, but I’ll drink the hell out of a salted caramel mocha after a chilly run. Of course, in Michigan, it could be 100 degrees with 90% humidity tomorrow, so I won’t be putting away the tank tops and sunscreen quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment