Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Week in review Nov. 30-Dec. 6: Trying a new trainer routine

Fun fact, or "fun" fact, depending on your point of view: The way Detroit lies on the planet, there's only one week during December when the sun sets at 4:59. It's the only time of year that the sun sets at 4 something. And we're in the thick of it right now.

This time of year is always hard for my circadian rhythms, although I feel this year is SLIGHTLY better because I'm still working from home and spend a good part of most days working from my fairly sunny kitchen. Morning dogs walks have been in the dark for at least a month but I'm OK with that, since when it's this cold they just want to poop and turn around for home and breakfast, anyway. I'm mostly just tired: Not tired enough to not train, just overall tired and blah.

Considering that, I'm pretty happy that I posted a solid week of training last week. I tried something new: With my knee being a bit finicky lately (I think it's just the cold weather and age), and no races coming up, I decided it would be a better use of my time to ride four times a week and run three. I don't think I have ever in my life trained on my bike two days in a row and I wasn't sure how it would go, but it went fine and I had just as much energy the second day. My big issue right now is that I need more bike shorts! I am doing laundry all the time.

I know, I know. Riding multiple days in a row to become a better rider isn't rocket science. But I love running and would rather do that. Baby steps, OK? Depending on how this winter goes, and what our treadmill situation is, I may be riding 7 days per week and running 0 by the time February comes around. Haha!
Lots of trainer riding last week.
Anyway, last week was:

Bike: Four times, all on the trainer, for 72 fake trainer miles in about 4:40. This is easily the most trainer riding I've ever done in a week, although I've done more miles in the saddle when 70.3 training and doing four-hour rides outside. Still, it's progress. 100 miles per week is probably a bit of a lofty goal for me right now, but the 62 (100 K) to 75-ish is more reasonable for me to shoot for every week.

Run: Three times, all outside, for 17.5 miles in just less than 3 hours. These were all easy runs just to keep things functioning. Now that it's getting colder I'm going to lay off the long and speedy runs for a bit and just run to keep in shape and enjoy some fresh air now and then. Between weekends and furlough days, I am hopeful I can continue to get outside regularly when the weather cooperates.

PT/Pre-hab: Six times, three mobility and three running PT, for about 2.5 hours. I'm in a good groove with this. Doing a full rehab routine on "school nights" is still a bit tricky, but I'm making it work a couple times per week. The good news is "only" my knee has been hurting lately (knock wood), and none of my soft tissues, so I feel I'm in a good place with this.

Weights: A work-related emergency during the week and trying to cram too much into a Saturday caught up with me, and I could only do one video on Sunday. But still! I got something done.

Yoga: Twice for about a half hour total. Twice per week is definitely feeling good for my body. I'm working on adding days and length, but, again, baby steps.

Total: 16 sessions in about 11:42. Not the best week, but a pretty darn good week overall.

I could say I wish things were more exciting, but I really don't. In the year 2020, I want boring. We all want boring. And my life is pretty boring right now: Work, train a bit, hang out with the dogs and my husband, cook a bit, watch Netflix, sleep. And I am TOTALLY fine with that.

Hope you all are staying boring, safe, and healthy out there, and getting your sunlight when you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment