Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Week in review December 7-13: A bit of extra training time for the holidays

A great week for trainer riding and not too shabby for other stuff.
The last couple of days were pretty busy trying to get ready for the holidays, but I have some time to catch up on personal stuff today. We're not really doing a big Christmas hurrah this year, but I still mailed packages to a few kiddos in my life and I'm still mailing cards to hopefully bring a little joy to these dark days (literally and figuratively!).
I took a couple of days off last week for errands, but also took advantage of the extra time for some additional training. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I added a mile here and there to my runs and 15 minutes here and there to my rides. It was a nice changeup. I was lucky with the weather cooperating and allowing me to get outside to run three times.

I am feeling good about shifting to three runs and four rides per week rather than vice versa. I'm not running particularly long or fast right now, so three runs per week of varying length and pace seems to be doing the trick. The second day in a row of riding has been an adjustment, but I've been managing that pretty well, I think. I am still hoping Santa brings me more bike shorts so I can lay off the laundry a bit.

Overall, it was:

Bike: Four times, all on the trainer, for 76 fake trainer miles in exactly 5 hours, 1 second. This made me laugh so hard. It's easily the most time I've spent on the trainer in a week, and I'm going to need more Netflix shows if I want to keep it going. I've already burned through The Good Place, The Crown, The Queen's Gambit, Queer Eye, and Schitt's Creek, and have already watched all of The Office, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, and a few other classics. I started watching Parks and Recreation through again but it got pulled off Netflix, and we just subscribed to Hulu, so I'm taking suggestions.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 20 miles in about 3:17. This ended up as a medium distance run, a peppy-ish run, and an easy run. This seems like a good assortment for me.

PT/Pre-hab: Six times, three mobility sessions and three running PT sessions, with one long PT session because it included the first session 12 Days of Strengthmas as organized by a triathlon/running coach I follow on Instagram. I felt it in more core immediately and it was definitely a reminder that 1. core work is important and 2. I need to keep shaking things up to get good results.

Weights: Twice, one online barre class and one heavy/body session, for about 2:25. I'm in a good routine with doing a longer session on the weekend and a shorter one during the week. This winter, I'll probably be looking to shake it up a bit with some new routines.

Yoga: Twice for about 30 minutes total. Again, I'm feeling good making extra time in the week for that second session. My next target is to make more time for a third, so I'm doing yoga every day I run. I'm working on it.

Total: 17 sessions in just a hair less than 14 hours. A great week for me.

I'm off to a pretty good start this week, but I know I have a long work day tomorrow so it'll likely end up being a lower-volume week. But that's OK; I'll do what I can fitting training around the remaining holiday tasks and other boring adult stuff like work, cleaning, and cooking.

I hope your holidays are off to a great start for whatever you do or don't celebrate, and that you're still staying healthy and safe.




2 comments:

  1. Umbrella Academy is my current trainer program. Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, those have lots of episodes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing good things about Umbrella Academy - I'll check that out for sure. Mad Men might make me too angry, which could be a good thing or a bad thing for the trainer XD

      Delete