Friday, December 18, 2020

1,000 miles for 2020

I started wondering the other day how close I was to 1,000 miles for the year. I've ended more than a few months at 98.5 or 123.2 or other ridiculous totals, and I wanted to know sooner rather than later if I could hit the magic number.

I got a bit nervous as I was doing the math because I had a few dips in mileage over the years when I got sick in February and when I had hamstring niggles this summer. But consistency prevailed, and...

I'm already at 1,030 for the year! Woo-hoo!


Going back to my logs, I hit 1,000 on the first Friday run of this month, after a spectacularly bad few days at work. My notes:

I'd had such a shitty week, and needed to make up some time, so I snuck out for a nice run around the neighborhood while the sun was shining and it wasn't too cold. I was exhausted from not sleeping but this actually turned out pretty great and I had the fastest splits I've had in a long time. It was a pretty sunset and actually a nice way to wrap up such a bad week.

Not a bad run to hit 1,000 for the year.

This is only the fifth time I've hit that 1,000 number. When I was doing consistent marathons from 2010-2015, my annual mileage got a bit higher. Yeah, I know it's nothing compared to "serious" running, but it's a good benchmark for me.

There's not a whole lot of running left this year, since I'm just not going to go out when it's dark and cold and miserable. I want to get some more solid miles, but even if I don't, I can't be disappointed with 2020 running. It was one good thing to come out of the year, at least.

I hope the last few runs of the year are good for you, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment