Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Week in review May 4-10: Some serious social isolation training hours

A good variety and a good volume of training last week.
All is well over here. I just got tired last night mid-weekly wrap up and decided to go to bed. Anxiety is really doing a number on my sleep so figured I should take advantage while I could, haha.

Anyway, last week was just about as much training as I could squeeze into a regular week. I had a great variety of activities and I felt pretty good overall. The only way I could have done more training is if I'd had more furlough days, which, no thank you. Except for Friday, on which I "only" did an easy run, I added dryland, PT, and/or weights to my trainer rides or runs, which made it a pretty high-volume (for me) week.

Annoyingly, it was also pretty cold for a good part of the week. I got caught in a random snow squall when I went out for a run Friday, and it was cold on Saturday, too. Pretty ridiculous for mid-May. I am definitely ready for warmer temperatures and sunshine.

Cold weather aside, last week shook out to be:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 32 miles in about 5:13. This worked out to be two easy runs, a speed run than ended up as 3 x 1 mile at 5K pace, and a slightly-longer-than-anticipated long run because I misjudged a loop in the middle. I had a bit of hamstring tightness here and there but other than that, all was well.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 57 fake trainer miles in about 3:46. Nothing out of the ordinary here, either: one easy ride, one harder ride, one longer ride. I have been picking 1.5-hour Trainer Road rides on Sunday and then soft pedaling until I hit 25 miles, which has been giving me an extra 10-15 minutes. I'd like to hit 250 trainer miles this month, and it feels like I'm pretty well on my way so far.

Weights: Twice, one video and one of my heavy/body weight routines, for about 2:25. It's a good week when I can do two weights workouts, so hooray!

PT: Three times for about 1:45 total. Again, three times through of my PT exercises is a hooray for me!

Dryland: I did an extra stretch cord routine for two total times and 30 total minutes. I'm using an old exercise band right now so I'm keeping this simple, fitting in 15 minutes to warm up for a weights workout or to extend a run workout. The dryland-specific cords I want are on back order, and I couldn't get to them fast enough before they sold out again. Sad face!

Yoga: Again, twice for 30 total minutes. Sadly, the app I used occasionally went to a paid model, and I'm not sure yet how often I'll use it, so for right now I'm just doing my own hip- and hamstring-opening routines.

Total: 16 sessions in about 14:09. This is a huge volume for me! Hooray! This is easily my biggest week of the year, and only one week in March even comes close.

Of course, the only reason I'm doing all this is because it feels good and is keeping me sane. The second I start to feel badly or sick, I cut back. Unfortunately, Detroit is still a COVID hotspot and we have to be super careful. The only human other than my husband I've had actual, non-computer contact with in the past week is a random woman I gave directions to. But working out inside and going for solo runs is still OK, and still feels OK.

As always, I hope you are all staying safe and healthy out there.





No comments:

Post a Comment