Saturday, May 16, 2020

Successful speed work even with no races on the calendar

I have been kicking dupa and taking names during my speed runs these past few weeks. My best guess is that it's a combination of adding more PT and weights time into my weekly routines; moving my long run to my furlough day Wednesday, and therefore farther away from my speed run; and doing weights immediately before my run, rather than the day before, so I'm not doing it on tired legs.

I've been mixing it up based on what I feel like that day: alternating half-miles, alternating miles, descending miles, etc. (Really, the only thing I haven't been able to do is track workouts, since everything is closed.) All those faster-than-usual miles mean that my Garmin has been tracking faster and faster 10Ks and even the occasional "record" mile. Woo hoo!

I'm not counting these as actual PRs because they're not at races, and I've only had this Garmin for 2.5 years, but it still has been good to see a few new records over the past few weeks. I had a couple "fastest" 10Ks in April and a "fastest" mile, and today I hit the trifecta:
Heck yeah!
I hadn't set a "fastest" 5K with this Garmin in about a year and a half, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this. I was treating this run as a time trial, and I didn't really know what to expect. I wasn't even thinking 10K or mile, but I had run a couple miles beforehand of medium-peppy-medium, which apparently was enough. Woo hoo! (again)

And, a funny thing from my Garmin:
Look at that heart rate! haha
Even if there isn't anything to train for, I am still enjoying challenging myself. And if I can set some new Garmin records, that's great too. I'll take all the positives I can to come out of this stay-at-home order.



No comments:

Post a Comment