Monday, March 30, 2020

Week in review March 23-29: A social distancing mini-camp

A nice variety of training, if nothing else.
It feels a little ridiculous writing about my training last week. Detroit's and Michigan's COVID numbers have been getting worse and worse every day. My state rep died yesterday. Kids aren't going back to school until fall, at the very earliest. It's scary out there.

But regular workouts have been keeping me sane, and I have been getting lots of extra movement with the time I'm saving from not commuting, getting ready in the morning, or having any weekend or evening plans. As far as training goes, this was one of the best weeks in a while, even if it was tough emotionally.

And I haven't been counting hours of dog walking as training, either. I'm taking them out for almost an hour before work and another 45 minutes or so at lunchtime every day, plus at least one walk per weekend day (although it poured all day Saturday). I have been really enjoying watching the sunrises and listening to the birds in the mornings. It's a nice, peaceful way to start the day.

But training-wise, I logged:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 64 fake trainer miles in about 4:06. I've been keeping my routine of easy ride Monday, interval ride Wednesday, long ride Saturday.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 23 mils in about 3:51. This was an easy run, a speed run (half-mile pickups), and a long run of 11 miles. I honestly wasn't sure if I could do 11 -- it's been over a year! But I got into a good groove and before I knew it, it was time to turn around. All was well.

Weights: Twice, one video and one of my heavy/body routine, for about 2:30. I also worked on pullups and chinups after my video. The upper body strength is coming back.

PT/Pre-hab: Three rounds of my homework plus rolling afterward for about 1:45.

Dryland: Two rounds of stretch cord exercises for about 30 minutes. Well, if I can't swim, at least I can do this.

Yoga: Twice, once with the Down Dog app and once self-guided, for about 30 minutes.

Total: 15 sessions (!!!) in about 13:11.

So yeah, the world is going to you-know-what, but training is one constant in my life right now. My goal is to keep training until I can't, whether that's because I get sick or we're not allowed to go outside at all. When I do go out it's me, the dogs, and sometimes my husband. I haven't interacted with another human face-to-face in weeks.

I really don't know how all this is going to shake out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I'm just going to keep hunkering down and doing what I can to stay healthy physically and mentally.



No comments:

Post a Comment