Monday, March 9, 2020

March 2-8 week in review: Back on the bike and some outdoor running

Lots of biking and a good amount of other stuff.
It wasn't a bad week last week. I was finally feeling better enough to really get back into some training, and the weather cooperated enough that I was able to run outside.

The week started off slowly because we ended up with last-minute tickets to the Red Wings game Monday, so I didn't do any training. I hopped back into it Tuesday with a nice interval ride, which was tough enough that I had to take a time-out and reduce my power for a while. But, I was able to nail the second interval set in a smaller gear with a higher cadence; lesson learned.

I'm also going through a major life change that required significant brain power on Friday, so I wasn't feeling up to a run. My supposedly "good" knee was killing me that day anyway, so I figured a rest day wouldn't be a bad idea. It felt fine the next day and (knock wood) hasn't bothered me since, so I guess I made the right decision. It felt like the area around my patella was inflamed, so who knows what the heck I did to it.

Wings games and inflamed knees aside, it was a decent week:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 63 fake trainer miles in about 4:11. I went a little longer than my usual hour- or two-hour-long rides to end my rides on even numbers.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 12.5 miles in about 2:11. This was one super easy run with my husband, and one "long" run of 8 miles on a gorgeous Sunday. The 8 miles felt a lot better than last week's 7 even though I was a bit faster, so I'll count that as a success.

PT: Two rounds of my homework followed by rolling out my quads and calves, for about 1:10 total. I took advantage of my extra time Saturday and Sunday to knock these out because I knew it needed to be done.

Weights: One barre class, for the first time in a long time, for about an hour. This felt good although I can tell I've lost a bit of strength in my shoulders.

Yoga: One quick session of 15 minutes at the end of a long week. I needed this, badly.

Total: 9 sessions in about 8:47. Not terrible at all considering I had two days off training.


I haven't made it to the pool since my indoor tri last month, and I need to get more consistent with my weights and PT, but this week felt like a good one to get in the books. I can always make improvements in the next week, right?

Here's to another good week of training for all of us!



No comments:

Post a Comment