Monday, August 20, 2018

Week in review Aug.13-19: Near perfect for bike, run, weights, and PT

My biggest week in a while!
Last week was my best week for training in a long, long time. I’m going to call it perfect for the run: three runs, all outside, one faster than usual, one longer than usual; the bike: three rides, including one long ride outside; and weights: one barre class and one heavy/body weight session. It was also not shabby when it came to PT, with four sessions at home.

I made this work by having almost zero plans during the week. I was home alone twice, so on both of those nights I did two workouts (barre/PT and bike/weights) and ate a quick dinner afterward on my own. I only ran errands one day. It was beautiful weather on Saturday so I made sure to get out for a long bike ride while I could.

I don’t really care right now that I didn’t make it to the pool, but I do wish I would have gotten in a bit of yoga. My hip flexors have been pretty grumpy and they could have used it. I could have done this Saturday or Sunday evening, but we ended up hanging out with friends both nights, which was relaxing in its own right. They ended up barbecuing both nights and my most important duty was to bring a side dish and wine, and relax in the hammock. It was an amazing way to spend a couple of summer evenings, even if the mosquitoes did munch on me a bit.

Of course, I say “perfect” for the run and bike regarding to where I’m at right now. “Perfect” a few years ago was a 55-mile week with one day off. Right now it’s three run/walks with no knee pain. I’m building back my run and that makes me happy and that’s “perfect” enough.

Anyway, but the numbers it was:

Bike: Three times, twice on the trainer for 20 miles total and once on the road for a 35-miler, for a bit longer than 4 hours in the saddle total. I decided this week to bump up my trainer rides to 10 fake trainer miles at a time, instead of 45 minutes and then rounding up to the next quarter mile. So far my knee is cooperating. I also HAD to take advantage of a day with no obligations and perfect weather on Saturday. I didn’t set out to do 35 but I was FINALLY feeling confident riding again – I even rode in the big ring! – and I wanted to enjoy it as long as I could.

PT: Four at-home sessions, three of them longer (I have a few exercises I don’t do every day), for about 2:45. I’m proud of myself for being consistent this week.

Run/walk: Three times, all on the road, for 12.55 miles in about 2:35. I had lots going on this week in regards to my run:
  • I added another 30 seconds to the run portions and decreased the walking to make my intervals 5:30/1:30. After I knew that felt OK …
  • I ran my Friday evening run intervals a bit faster (for me that’s about an 8:30 minute per mile pace right now), and …
  • I added one more interval for my Sunday “long” run to make it five run intervals of 5:30 each.
I’m still doing a pretty significant warm up and cool down (about 0.5-1 mile each) which skews my overall pace slow, but the important thing is that my knee is feeling pretty good. I will continue to build slow and steady.

Weights: One barre class (I am still on pace to use all 10 classes in my package before they expire) and one heavy/body session. My heavy/body weights (pullups, pushups, weighted lunges, all that kind of good stuff) takes me a while, so I usually save it for the weekend. This week I found time on one of the nights I was home alone and could do whatever I wanted. =)

Total: 12!!!!!! sessions in about 11:40!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t even remember the last time I had this much volume.

My legs are tired, but happy. Everything is functional, knock wood. I have been enjoying myself for the most part; I endure my PT, but I know it’s for the best, and I pass the time watching Instagram stories of funny dogs. I couldn’t ask much more from my week.




No comments:

Post a Comment