Monday, August 27, 2018

Week in review Aug. 20-26: I managed to salvage a bad week

Not bad, considering all the stuff that popped up during the week.
The first part of last week was horrendous. I had to work late twice, I wasn’t feeling great, I was crunched for time… you know, the usual. (haha)

After doing zero training Wednesday and Thursday I was out for blood on Friday. I am thinking about doing a duathlon (waiting to see what the weather will do that day before I sign up) so I decided to do a run-bike-run test. It went way better than I expected with no knee pain and no dead legs on the bike or second run. I wasn’t pushing it as hard as I could in a race, to be sure, but I ended the workout feeling a lot more confident about the possibility.

Saturday I declared that I was not leaving the house after errands and brunch. It was gross and rainy, so I stayed inside for a long bike trainer ride, a full weights circuit, and my long version of PT homework (the first and only time for the week, eep!). I was tired by the end of everything but it was a good tired and I was glad to be getting in a few hours of training. Sadly, I did have to leave the house later, but only to get essentials from the grocery store. The rest of the evening was spent making a big batch of tomato sauce from my garden spoils and giving myself a pedicure. Another rock star Saturday night.

Sunday I was heading out of town to see family for the first time in years, so my only running window was early in the morning. I got up at 6 a.m. and did a decent run-walk although it was already warm and humid and my legs were tired from Friday and Saturday. Plus, I got to see the sun rise and burn through the fog. It was great to see my family and I don’t regret giving up most of a day at all.

By the numbers, last week was:

Bike: Three times, all trainer, for 35 fake trainer miles in about 2:53. This included a regular, easy-ish ride; a short ride in the middle of my run-bike-run brick; and a longer ride on Saturday. That long ride felt good enough that I threw in a bunch of 30-60-second pickups and felt fine. It might be time to think about bringing back my TrainerRoad account.

Weights: Twice, one barre class and one heavy/body session, for about 2:15. Buying a 10-class barre pass has definitely kept me honest and I have two classes to use up in the next week. The heavy session felt pretty good and I was able to do a couple of hanging pullups again and add more weight here and there.

Run/walk: Well, technically this was one run/walk and two runs, but we’ll count the two brick runs as one and lump everything together for simplicity’s sake. Overall this was 8.6 miles in about 1:33. I have no complaints – I am building slowly, adding in a faster run and a longer run once each per week, and feeling not as great as I was a year ago but like I’m getting there.

PT/Rehab: Terrible – just once for about 45 minutes. This week was bad enough and I just ran out of time to squeeze in PT among everything else.

Yoga: Hey, I did do some of this. One 20-minute stretch (heh) at home.

Total: 9 sessions in about 7:46. Considering the way my week started off, I’m satisfied with this.

I had good intentions to get some swimming in this week but couldn’t make it to the pool before our friends and their kids got there, and I should have done more PT and could have done another run, but overall I’m happy with how everything worked out (heh, again). I am already looking forward to the long weekend but I am hoping to use some of that momentum from a strong weekend to launch into a strong week starting today.



No comments:

Post a Comment