Monday, January 22, 2018

Week in review Jan 15-21: I did more pre-hab/rehab this week than I did all of 2017

PT for me.
… which no doubt contributed to this mess I’m in.

The week started off OK with a couple of trainer rides, PT, and even a swim, the first one of the year. I did all of my PT homework on those three non-PT days, too.

By Friday my knee was starting to hurt again. Strange, since I had swum and not ridden the trainer the day before. A warm weather front was moving in, so maybe that was it. But at PT that night a lot of the lateral moves hurt. I took it easy on Saturday, not wanting to make anything worse, and on Sunday just did the stretching advised by my therapist.

Boo.

My suspicion is that I need to dial it back a bit – maybe stop doing actual Trainer Road workouts and make any rides very easy spins before my PT homework. The pool was busy enough that I had a bit of anxiety and did a lot of kickboard work, so that might have aggravated my knee, too. I am seeing pull buoy swims, upper body workout, and more PT in my future.

Anyway, by the numbers, it was:

PT/Rehab: 6 times, 2 physical therapy sessions and 4 “homework” sessions of various stretching and strengthening moves, for 3.5 hours. Yes, this is more than I did the entire calendar year of 2017. I had to go back to March of 2017 to find the last time I did pre-hab before I started physical therapy at the beginning of this year. Pathetic. In this case, correlation most likely DOES equal causation. =)

Bike: Twice on the trainer for 2 hours total.

Swim: Once in the pool (yes, I made it to the pool!) for a mile in about an hour – I just did drills, which always take me forever. The pool was pretty busy and I didn’t want to let my anxiety get the best of me.

Total: 9 sessions in about 6.5 hours. It’s not a terrible week, but I wish it were more actual training and less rehab. Sigh.

I’m going to take today off (except for my stretching "homework") and go in fresh for my next PT appointment tomorrow, hopefully without any pain so I can complete all the movements. I am ready to talk about what is working and what is not so I can get moving in the right direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment