Sunday, January 28, 2018

A shocking development in my physical therapy

My knee wasn't feeling great late last week and early this week. I don't know if swimming last Thursday aggravated it, since I'm not used to the kicking motion, or if I just plain overdid it. It started hurting last Friday and after PT that day I was given strict instructions to rest.

It was still a little painful on Tuesday so we didn't do quite as many rehab moves. And at the end of our session, we zapped electricity into my knee.
Bzzzzzt.
I forget the actual acronym my therapist called the treatment but it's electrical muscle stimulation (Wikipedia page here) and it was interesting. She put four electrodes on my leg -- above, below, on either side of my kneecap -- and turned on the electricity very low at first. She asked if I had ever licked a nine-volt battery, because that's what it felt like, and NO, I have never licked a nine-volt battery.

I only increased the electricity to the feeling of a tingle, and I felt a lot better later that day. We did it again after my session on Friday, and I was able to increase the voltage a little bit, until my muscles started twitching a little. It didn't hurt, it just felt weird.

Like anything else, it'll take some getting used to, I guess. I'm encouraged that my knee hasn't really hurt except for some dull pinching Friday. At this point, maybe I will even lick a battery if it means I can run again sometime soon.



2 comments: