Monday, May 8, 2017

Week in review May 1-7: Another not terrible week

Mediocre weeks are my specialty.
It wasn’t a terrible week, training-wise. I got off to a slow start: I had every intention of going to the pool Monday but I was having a rough day and just couldn’t muster the mental energy required. I compromised with myself by doing a little bit of yoga on my own, so the day wasn’t a total wash.

I got in some decent running Tuesday and Wednesday and did a weights video Thursday. I am not a total wuss, but I felt those pushups for DAYS. I tend to get in a funk on Fridays, which I try to relieve with a speed run and/or plans with friends after work, but it was raining and our friends were busy for Cinco de Mayo. We were going to do a fun, local 5K, but driving to and paying for a run in the cold and rain sounded like the Worst Thing Ever. I opted for lazing on the couch instead of getting on the treadmill, even though I was mad at myself later for not doing anything.

But, I rallied for the weekend with an hour and a half on the trainer Saturday and a nice long run yesterday (Sunday). Although one of my usual riding routes closed to traffic on Saturday starting this weekend, I had family coming over and didn’t want to spend the extra hour loading up my bike and driving there when I should have been cleaning. Yesterday I was going nonstop from when my alarm went off at 7:30: Take the dogs out, make breakfast, go to my friend’s kid’s birthday party, grocery shop, run long, food prep, collapse into bed later than I should have. I was stressed about getting it all done, but I reminded myself that if my biggest worry is how to fit in a party, a long run, and food shopping and prep, that is not really a problem.

My “long” run ended up being fine although I think I overdid it a smidge since I am feeling it today. I did 10 miles at an easy-ish pace and tried to run the last 2 fast. I didn’t really have a goal, just “fast,” whatever that was. I finished in 1:54 and change, so next week I am going to try for 12.5 in less than 2 hours. I don’t have a reason to run longer than 2 hours since I’m not training for anything right now, and because today I’m a bit tight in the hips and sore in the knees, so I’ll keep it at 2 hours for a while.

By the numbers, it worked out to:

Run: Three times, once on the treadmill and twice on the road, for 23.5 miles in about 3.75 hours.

Bike: One trainer ride for about an hour and a half.

Weights: One 55-minute video.

Yoga: One quick 15-minute solo session.

Total: 6 sessions in about 6.5 hours. That works out to one rest day and more than an hour average for the other days, so I can’t be too mad at myself.

I still struggle to balance training with work and other Being An Adult stuff: Errands, cooking, keeping a house just clean enough that it isn’t condemned, etc. But I feel good about getting in some solid sessions this past week and hope I can launch that into another good week. Here we go.


No comments:

Post a Comment