Monday, January 18, 2016

Week in review Jan. 11-17: Decent training among sickness and a house guest

Not a bad week.
I had a pretty good start to the week and a pretty good end to the week. The middle was “meh” with a couple days off to fight a cold and accommodate a house guest, but I felt good about handling both with only a few adjustments.

Let’s get down to it:

Swim: I only made it to the pool once, for 3200 meters in about 1 hour, 21 minutes. I had good intentions to swim after work Thursday, but had to leave work early to sleep off the beginnings of a cold instead. Unfortunately, I couldn’t reschedule for Friday because of my houseguest. Still, that one swim was good, with descending 100s on 7 seconds rest, my best “speed” workout so far this cycle.

Bike: Twice on the trainer for 3 hours total. I did a bunch of 5-minute big-ring intervals for my shorter session, and a bunch of alternating medium/medium-hard/hard/medium-hard intervals in the small ring for my “long” ride, which kept it interesting enough. I wish I could have gotten on the trainer once or twice more this week, though.

Run: First, the good news: Twice, both on the treadmill, for 4.5 miles total (one 2-miler and one 2.5-miler). I am trying to stay positive when it comes to my running, because that is 4.5 more miles than I have been able to do for a while, and although I am running very slowly, at least I am running.

And, the not-so-good news: I managed both miles Wednesday without any pain at all, but Sunday I got the familiar twinges at the familiar distance, right about 1.7 miles in. I was able to finish the 2.5 concentrating on form and landing softly, and it let up as soon as I was done running. Now, I haven’t been as diligent lately about my glute pre-hab. Maybe I am right on the cusp of glute strength vs. running load? Whatever is going on, I won’t be adding mileage until I figure it out.

Weights: Hey! Two times, once doing bodyweight/heavy weight moves of my own and once with a video, plus one round of plyo moves, for about 2 hours, 20 minutes total. Not too shabby! I am starting to add weight to my heavy routine, and I want to barf less and less with the video, so I feel like I’m getting somewhere.

Funny story why I only did one round of plyo moves this week: At the end of my second set of walking weighted lunges, suddenly I went down with charley horses to both quads. I decided to call it at two sets and skip the plyo that day. Mediocre multisport problems!

Pre-hab: Two rounds of hip exercises and one set each of glutes and ankles/arches/toes, for a total of about 1.5 hours. I had big plans for another round of glutes and feet last night, but our friends’ dinner party ran late and we were having too good a time to leave early. I’ll try to do extra this week.

Yoga: Nothing this week. Again, I had big plans, but had to prioritize my time.

Total: 12 sessions in just longer than 9 hours. Not bad!

This week will likely be a mirror image of last week, possibly with a bit more confusion around an additional evening work event. Hopefully I can keep the germs at bay for another week and keep logging those training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment