Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week in review Aug. 31-Sept. 6: Some running and some stretching

Run, stretch, repeat.
Well, summer is officially over. In Michigan, summer went out with a bang with temperatures tying for the hottest day of the year. I celebrated by doing my long run. Smart!

I had big plans for the day but the heat kept me mostly inside after my run. I had the chance to barbecue with family, where I ate a few too many hot dogs, shared back-to-school stories, and had fun swimming and relaxing one last time before fall. Yesterday was the first time I was in a pool and not swimming laps in a very, very long time.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Here’s a quick review of last week:

Run: Four times, all outside, for 21.75 miles in about 3.5 hours. My back still isn’t 100% and it was humid and gross all last week, so my averages are slower than I’d like to see this time of year. Also, I had two evening commitments, blew off one easy run to hang out with my mom all day, and postponed a long run. It was one of those weeks where I had a lot going on and running suffered a bit, but… it was all worth it, I think.

Yoga: Six times in 15-30-minute mini-sessions, for a total of just longer than two hours. I also try to do a quick figure-four hip stretch at my desk (just putting one ankle on the opposite knee and leaning forward for a few seconds) once an hour or so. Although my hips and hamstrings are looser than they’ve been in a while, I’m still pretty tight and stiff. Occupational hazard of being a runner, I guess.

Other: Nothing.

Total: 10 sessions in about 5.5 hours.

Not a great week, but not terrible. Solidly "OK." If I can keep my mileage going for the next few weeks, I'm sure I can finish my fall 26.2. Will I be any faster than last year? That remains to be seen.

Off to do some more stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment