Sunday, November 29, 2020

Turkey Trots and FTP tests

I was fortunate enough to have some time off for American Thanksgiving on Thursday and the day after for a nice, long weekend. Like any wannabe athlete I worked in a little bit of extra training into my days before I overindulged in turkey and sweets.

On Thursday, I dragged my husband along for our own Turkey Trot around the neighborhood. It was chilly but not really cold, and actually a nice day for a short, easy run. And Garmin rewarded us with this badge:

We celebrated our jaunt around the neighborhood with a scaled-down Thanksgiving dinner. I baked WAY too many sweets, cooked only things I like, and had no shame in taking most of the gravy. Mwa ha ha! I also ordered myself these socks just for the occasion:

On Saturday, I finally re-tested my FTP. I have been putting it off for way too long, with no real motivation to re-test after things started canceling in March. I had to go WAY back to see that my last FTP test was more than a year ago!!!!! I knew it had been a while, but I didn't think it had been THAT long. I steeled my nerves, settled in, and got to work. I hung on for just longer than 20 minutes and ended up increasing my FTP by four points.

Considering I'd been riding mostly for fun or maintenance for the past almost year, I was very happy with those four points. This is the result of 3 1/2 years of hard work; I'm more than double where I was when I took my first test in June 2017, which I described as "enlightening." Yes, I've "failed" one or two tests, but I've seen big and small gains over the years, and I'm happy with all of them.

It was a good holiday weekend. I hope yours was also relaxing, safe, and fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment