Sunday, November 15, 2020

My first trail run in YEARS!

I needed to do something completely out of the ordinary this week. It was a rough couple of days at work, and I was extra sad because this marked a year since the last time I'd traveled anywhere. So on my furlough day I headed out to one of my usual parks for some trail running!

The last time I had done any trail running was four years ago, when I did one or two runs to prepare for the Black Toenail Friday race the day after Thanksgiving. Four years! My "trail gear" was an old pair of road shoes. I had forgotten the park is open to bow and arrow deer hunters, but I had grabbed a bright red shirt and bright green headband, so I didn't feel I was in danger.

I did the longer yet less steep route and after taking a wrong turn ended up at 10 miles almost exactly. The trail wasn't too technical, it was challenging but not un-doable, the weather was about perfect, and I felt good. I don't think I stopped smiling until mile 9, when I finally started to get tired.

Long story short, I need to get out and run trails more often. My body is still sore a few days later, but it's the good sore from using dormant muscles. I have since learned they have built a whole new trail in the last few years, so I at last need to go check that out. I don't know that I'll go every week, but maybe even one or two trail runs a month will help me stay extra motivated this fall and winter.

Trail or no trail, be safe out there!



This hill was at the end of a wrong turn, but it was so worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment