Tuesday, January 1, 2019

December and 2018 wrap-up

What a year.

January: I started physical therapy for my knee injury. I did easy bike trainer rides and swam a couple of times. But the theme of the month was PT, PT, and more PT.

February: More PT, more easy trainer rides, a couple of swims, and some upper-body weights. I had a goal to bike and swim Ironman distance, which I accomplished!

March: I went to Costa Rica, but then rode on the trainer and did lots of PT.

April: More PT and more biking, with some random weight lifting, boxing, and yoga thrown in.

May: I went to California and did lots of hiking! And I was given the all-clear to run again! And also did some trainer rides, PT, and other stuff.

June: I had a great June: lots of time on the trainer and two bike rides outside, building up a run/walk routine, getting unofficially discharged from in-person PT, and even weights and yoga. It ended up being my best month for number of workouts.

July: I increased my running, made it to the pool twice, and went to barre a lot to make good use of a 10-class package.

August: I improved my biking and running and kept going to barre.

September: I had a blast at my first duathlon and building up my run, but didn't do a lot of PT or anything else.

October: October was "boringly consistent," but cold weather moved in in a hurry and I had to do a lot of my workouts indoors or give up. My runs did get consistently faster.

November: I had a great running month, did a birthday "triathlon," and had steady training for everything else.

December: I tied for second place for number of workouts — 44, which is what I also did in July, but less than the 48 I did in June — but rocked the most volume by time I've done all YEAR. Hooray!

I did 10 trainer rides, for 165 fake trainer miles in about 12 hours, 43 minutes. This wasn't my best cycling month of the year, but pretty close to my best volume-wise in November, and still pretty darn good.
Cycling volume by month.
I also ran 12 times, 7 on the road and 5 on the treadmill, for 72 miles also in about 12 hours, 43 minutes (random that I biked and ran almost the same amount of time!). Due to my slow and steady building up of my runs, this was my highest volume month all year as well. Hooray!
December was my best month of 2018 for run volume!
I did 11 at-home PT sessions, which was a good month since I got discharged from in-person rehab, so I'll take it.

I lifted weights six times, twice each of barre classes, at-home videos, and my routine of heavy/body moves. I re-aggravated my knee on my last round of heavy/body, so I think I need to find another alternative in the new year.

And I did yoga 7 times! Which is fully 1/3 of all the yoga I've done this year. Amazing what I can get done when I don't have to work every day, haha.

Overall December was 46 workouts in about 41 hours, 26 minutes. An excellent month for me.

I don't have any hard and fast goals for 2019 yet, but I definitely want to just keep working. I want to get back in the pool, keep improving my running, ride outside, keep working at the PT, and keep yoga-ing. Keep working. Keep improving. Keep striving.

Unfortunately, real life starts back up tomorrow so my training will be limited to evenings and weekends once again. But, I feel good about the progress I made in 2018 and hope I can use that as momentum to get 2019 off to a good start.



No comments:

Post a Comment