Monday, January 14, 2019

Week in review Jan. 7-13: First cold of the year

A pretty good week considering I was sick for half of it.
I made bone broth over Christmas break thinking it would be nice to have on hand if and when I end up catching a cold this season. Sadly, I didn’t have to wait long: I had a killer sore throat Wednesday, was down for the count Thursday, and still sniffly all day Friday.

Luckily I had gotten in a run and a trainer ride before I started to feel bad, and was able to rally with easy workouts by Saturday to sweat some of the cold out. I took it SUPER easy, don’t worry. I stuck to a steady state trainer ride, my PT, and some yoga just to make sure I could handle the activity. I also did an easy run on Sunday, on the treadmill away from the cold, and took care not to push too hard.

Considering I was out of commission for three days, I had a pretty darn good week:

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 33.5 fake trainer miles in about 2:36.

Run: Twice, both on the treadmill, for 13 miles in about 2:30. I’ve discovered that my almost-dead home treadmill can handle easy, steady-state runs, but for anything requiring intervals or actual speed I need to make the trip to the gym. But for at least a couple more days, that’s perfectly fine.

PT: Twice for about 1:15.

Yoga: Twice for about 30.

Total: 8 sessions in about 6:50. I’m surprised this is so high, considering, but a lot of that is gentle recovery PT and yoga. But hey, I’ll take it.

I’m hoping this cold leaves as fast as it came on and I can get back to regular training soon. In the meantime I’m careful to wash my hands, get my vitamin C, and get plenty of sleep. Which… is all stuff I should be doing anyway. Happy cold and flu season to all of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment