Monday, April 20, 2020

Week in review April 13-19: Winter's last hurrah, hopefully

Not a bad week.
I spent most of last week complaining about the cold and snow, yes, the snow. I saw a few snowflakes on my runs Tuesday and Thursday, and it legitimately flurried all day Friday. There was no way I had the mental fortitude to run in that, so Friday became my first rest day in three weeks. I was long overdue.

Other than that, it was a pretty normal-ish week. I rode some, I ran some — including my fastest 10K in a while — and I even squeezed in some dryland, weights, and PT, and ended the week with a little yoga. Overall, it was a good variety, and I definitely used muscles I haven't in a while.

One thing I did not do was my weekend long run. I learned late last week that I'm on 20% furlough starting this week, meaning I have one furlough day per week and a 20% pay cut. I am OK with this for a couple reasons: I still have a job, which I am grateful for. I'm not sad about having another scheduled day off, even if it is unpaid. We recently paid off some big bills and refinanced some loans, so we should be able to absorb the pay cut without too much trouble.

Anyway, I didn't do a weekend long run because I'm going to try to make lemonade out of lemons and move my long run to my furlough day. It'll be a nice break in the week, and hopefully there will be fewer people out. Plus, I lazed around significantly more over this past weekend, and I can't lie and say it wasn't nice. I am almost always rushing off to the farmer's market, or a long run, or a family get-together on the weekends, and it was almost luxurious to have nothing to do other than drink my coffee and pet my dogs.

I did do a bunch of training last week, too. It was:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 54.5 fake trainer miles for about 3:33. I'm still doing two, one-hour rides during the week and a 1.5-ish-hour ride on the weekend, but I kind of don't see the point to do anything longer than that since I probably won't be racing anything on two wheels soon.

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 18.5 miles in about 3:01. This was two easy runs and a speed run of alternating moderate and hard miles in the wind, during which I almost lost my lunch, but also during which my Garmin told me I set a new 10K PR by about 25 seconds. Yay!

Weights: One online barre class and one heavy/body session for about 2:05 total. I did pullups and chinups for the first time in forever AND tried a new lunge move on Saturday, and I am still sore two days later.

PT: Two homework sessions plus rolling for about 1:10. Eh, not bad, but I should be fitting in a few more during the week.

Yoga: One 20-minute Down Dog app session. Again, not bad, but I should be fitting in a few more sessions.

Dryland: I did some dryland this week! 15 minutes of a cycle of swimming-esque moves to warm up for a weights workout.

Total: 12 sessions for about 10:24.

Not an amazing week but pretty good, and a pretty good variety, AND a rest day. I'll take it. It wasn't an easy week with work, life, and pandemic stress, but I managed to get through it. Training is keeping me sane and I'm going to try to keep going as long as I can.

Stay safe and healthy out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment