Monday, April 13, 2020

Week in review April 6-12: A more normal training week amidst non-normal times

Great running, OK biking, a smattering of other stuff.
I saw a meme or whatever the other day that said something to the effect of, "This is a pandemic, not a productivity contest." I definitely needed to hear that, because I was starting to fall into the trap of getting frustrated with myself for not accomplishing everything on my very long to-do list.

Last week was normal training volume under most circumstances. Although I've had a few very good weeks in a row, I just couldn't keep it going. The stress and uncertainty got to me and I had trouble sleeping most of the week. Also,  I had a few fun things in there, like trying a new recipe and a virtual happy hour. I had high hopes that I would knock out a laundry list of tasks on Friday, since I had the day off work, but getting groceries took most of the morning and part of the afternoon. Ugh.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible week. I had some good runs, did some baking, made an easy Easter dinner, hung out with my husband and the dogs, enjoyed some good weather, etc. We even witnessed an Easter miracle, as my mom figured out how to use Google Hangouts (lol) and the entire family video chatted for an hour or so. We couldn't be together, but we made the most of what we could do.

By the numbers, it was:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 31.75 miles in about 5:16. This was two easy runs, a speed run of half-mile pickups, and a long run. The pickups were on a very windy day and felt amazingly hard; my half-mile pace never got below what I knocked out for a whole mile the week before. My long run ended up as 12.5 running, 2 hours then rounded up to the next quarter mile. I am hopeful that I will still be able to do a half marathon later this year, plus running long once a week helps with my sanity.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 55.5 fake trainer "miles" in about 3:36. I have backed off the two-hour Saturday rides because I probably won't be doing any multisport any time soon. But I'm OK with keeping up a bike base as I focus on running for a bit.

PT: Once for about 35 minutes. Not a great week.

Yoga: One 20-minute session on the Down Dog app. At least I did something.

Total: 9 sessions in about 9:47. Not spectacular, not bad.

Nope, I didn't do any weights or dryland swim drills. I had to let something go for my own peace of mind. I really want to have amazing training weeks every week I'm on lockdown but it probably just isn't going to happen. At least running is going well and I'm squeezing in a bit of fun, right?

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy, and running and biking ALONE if you're going outside.



2 comments:

  1. If you're backing off on the 2hr rides I'm guessing I have no hope of convincing you to join me for a 3+ hr TR ride one weekend? LOL

    I'm so with you about the grocery shopping being a time suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret I must decline a 3-hour ride. XD but maybe if you do any group 1-hour rides!

      Delete