Monday, April 6, 2020

Week in review March 30-April 5: Training to stay sane and healthy

Overall, still a really good training week.
I didn't have quite as good a week training-wise as I did the week before, but I still got a good amount in. I was more tired this week, probably from the cumulative stress of everything going on in the world.

I did shake it up a little bit. I tried adding an easy run during the week for four total runs, something I haven't done in a while. I'm using part of my extra time from not commuting and putting that toward weights and PT, so I feel good about my body taking on the extra mileage.

I didn't do any dryland this week and I didn't do as much yoga or weights as I would have liked. I got super tired about an hour into my Saturday long ride, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to thinking "That's it, I have the virus, this is the fatigue hitting me." I ate something and re-hydrated, and skipped my planned weights workout, and felt a lot better afterward. I also managed a 12-mile run the next day, so I think it's safe to say that wasn't it.

I kept Monday as an easy day and moved my speed run back to Friday, which I liked. (Although it probably contributed to the leg zapped-ness of Saturday's ride.) I'll try to keep that routine for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Anyway, numbers-wise, it was:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 31 miles (50K!) in about 5:08. Easily my biggest-volume week for running in a long, long time. And, it all felt good! My easy runs were pretty uneventful, I varied my speed on my fast run and logged my fastest 10K with my new Garmin, and my long run was a 12-miler in the beautiful weather. I'm not going to do anything longer than that for the time being, but it was nice to get out and challenge myself.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 53.5 fake trainer miles in about 3:37. This was an easy ride Monday, a hard interval ride Thursday, and the longer ride that I turned into a soft pedal after about an hour.

PT: Three homework sessions followed by rolling out my quads and calves for about 1:45.

Weights: One virtual barre class followed by chinup and pullup practice for about an hour.

Yoga: One self-guided session for about 15 minutes.

Total: 12 sessions in about 11:44. Still a darn good week.

I'm living in a state of limbo right now where I'm taking everything one day at a time. Detroit's and Michigan's COVID numbers aren't getting any better and I saw a LOT of people not social distancing on my run Sunday, which makes me angry that people aren't taking this seriously. I'm going to continue to go out, ALONE, as long as I am feeling good. I definitely need the mental distraction as much as the physical exercise.

I hope you also had a good and healthy week.



No comments:

Post a Comment