Monday, April 27, 2020

Week in review April 20-26: Running is coming along -- thanks, PT and weights

Good running volume and a nice variety of other stuff.
It was a really good week for training. I had good runs, I had decent bike rides, I did a bunch of PT, and I worked in a smattering of Other Stuff.

The week started off slowly with an easy run on Monday and an easy ride on Tuesday. These past few weeks, I have noticed that I'm carrying over some residual fatigue and stress into the new week, so easy workouts on Monday and Tuesday have been working OK for me. Wednesday was my first furlough day, and I did a long run with few people and too many snowflakes around. I felt good about it and it was nice to break up the work with with a nice training day.

I was able to rally, kind of, for a hard trainer ride Thursday, easy run Friday, and weights and a speed run Saturday. I was skeptical that a speed run after weights was a good idea but I have set a new Garmin 10K record two weeks running (ha), so something has to be working. I rounded out the week with a long-ish but not too hard trainer ride.

I can't complain about this week at all. It worked out to be:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 31.75 miles in about 5:11. Two easy runs, a great speed run, and a do-able long run is going to be my ideal running week for at least the time being. I am happy that the weather and my body are holding out.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 53.3 fake trainer miles in about 3:33. Less excitement here: I have been doing an easy ride, a harder ride, and a longer ride weekly. Since I'm probably not racing any time soon I backed the longer ride down to 1.5 hours and that's about all I can handle right now, and that's OK.

PT: Three rounds of my homework for about 1:45. I am definitely noticing a difference here. It's no coincidence that I'm working in more PT at the same time I'm running a bit more and feeling good.

Weights: One round of my heavy/body routine for about 1:15. I should have squeezed in another video or online barre class, but this still felt pretty good.

Dryland: I found a video online and hung on for 15 minutes as a warmup to Saturday's weights routine.

Yoga: 15 minutes of self-guided practice. Again, I could have done more, but even this one night helped.

Total: 13 sessions in about 12:14.

Of course there could have been some fine-tuning but I feel I got all the low-hanging fruit this past week. Plus, I had some easy days, some downtime, and some fun time mixed in with all the pandemic anxiety. All in all, not a bad little week.

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment