Sunday, April 19, 2020

Another fast 10K but nowhere to race

All the extra PT and weights workouts are paying off. I logged another fast 10K yesterday, the fastest since I bought this new Garmin two and a half years ago. I clocked a 54:40, 25 seconds faster than the previous fastest I clocked during my speed workout two weeks ago.
Not too shabby.
I've never "raced" an open 10K, but the fastest 10K I've run that I know about is a 52:03 at the end of an Olympic triathlon many moons ago, in August of 2013. Now that I'm, ahem, a master's runner, I probably won't see that time again, but that's OK. It happens to the best of us.

I'm in the same boat for my 5K PR: I've never "raced" an open 5K, but I know I've run a 25:04 at the end of sprint triathlon in 2012. Since I bought this Garmin my fastest is a 25:24 from a virtual 5K, I think, in December of 2018.

Even though there probably won't be races for months, I do still like doing a speed run once a week or so. I've had a casual goal of a 24:59 5K for a while, but I think I can work on getting that 10K time down, too. Maybe 53:59 would be attainable if I kept working at this over spring and into summer.

I really wanted to race, like actually RACE, a 5K this summer to see what I could do, but who knows what the situation will be. Maybe I need another virtual race to motivate myself to do some hard miles.

I hope you are all are running quickly and safely, even if you don't have a race to train for.




No comments:

Post a Comment