Saturday, March 23, 2019

Back to the orthopedist (but not terrible news)

Oscar the Grouch is my spirit animal, so these shorts were perfect orthopedist wear.
I went back to the orthopedist this week. I have been having some pain in my hamstring for the last few months; the first time I remember it coming on was during a pre-Christmas virtual 5K, when I was running faster than normal.

The pain came and went since then. I did a few speed workouts on the treadmill this year with no problems. But it would act up on my longer runs, and then it started acting up on my shorter runs. Both runs in Argentina were pretty painful and I was keeping them super easy. So after one more easy run that I had to cut short because it hurt too much, I sucked it up and called the doctor. Since I've been there before they could get me in a week later.

Side note: I hate that I have an orthopedist. This getting old is garbage.

I was afraid my hamstring was torn or that I had a stress fracture in my pelvis. Although I knew I wasn't running stress-fracture-in-the-pelvis mileage, I had one in my tibia years ago, and when my bone density tests all came back fine, that doctor told me it just happens sometimes. Anyway, I got x-rays right away and only had to wait a few minutes for the doctor. He had me push my leg this way and that, stretched it hither and yon, and poked and prodded me.

Verdict: He doesn't think anything is torn or broken, just strained. I'm being sent back to PT for a while to work more hamstring and glute strengthening into the rotation. I can't do a lot of squats because of me knee, so maybe I will learn some other exercises.

I'm going to take a bit more time off from running to let any inflammation settle down and then I start PT. I'm not happy about it, but I'm glad to hear I probably haven't torn anything. I'm bummed that a half marathon next month is probably out, but there will be others next summer. And it can't hurt to have strong hamstrings and glutes.

A friend commented that it was frustratingly nonlinear progress. Yes, I am frustrated. But I am trying to keep in mind that while it is nonlinear, at least it is progress. 15 months ago I couldn't walk without pain. I worked through that and I am sure I will work through this, too.



2 comments:

  1. Those shorts are A+!
    The entire situation sounds frustrating but you got this.

    ReplyDelete