Monday, March 25, 2019

Week in review March 18-24: A good week for everything except running

A good variety -- not bad.
I’m pretty happy with my training last week. It was a good week for pretty much everything except running, from which I’m taking a break at least until I go back to physical therapy early next week. I even made it to the pool.

More than anything, I was consistent. I did at least one thing every day except yesterday (Sunday), including my ideal three trainer rides and two weights sessions. I struggle for time during the week so I only managed two PT homework sessions.

Yesterday became a rest day because of the uniquely Detroit holiday of the Marche du Nain Rouge. If you’re not up on your Detroit legends and history, the Nain Rouge (red dwarf) is a goblin that foretells disaster in the city. It’s apparently been spotted before the Battle of Bloody Run, the surrender of Detroit in the War of 1812, the riots of 1967, and even an ice storm in the '70s.

So, every spring for the past decade, Detroiters have gathered in costume (some terrifying) to scare the Nain away for another year. It’s always a good time and makes for excellent people watching, and yesterday we had good weather. It was nice to get outside for a few hours in the fresh air and sunshine, even if meant I traded that for a workout. I still had a nice, relaxing breakfast and did all my food prep yesterday, so it wasn’t a total loss of a day.
People dressed like bees, because why not.
Who ya gonna call?
I wish this were a better picture because that trumpet is on fire, literally.
Creepy mime juggler, train from hell... you know, the usual.
Workouts were:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 49.25 trainer “miles” in about 3.5 hours. My rides lately have been starting with “omg this feels so hard, I don’t know if my legs can handle this” and then somehow I power through them, even if I am super sweaty by the end.

Weights: One barre class and one of my heavy/body routines in about 2.25 hours. I added weighted hamstring curls to my heavy routine after my orthopedist suggested my hamstring pain is related to muscle weakness, and it didn’t feel like I was overdoing anything.

PT: Only twice, one longer session and one shorter, for about 1.75 hours.

Swim: Hey! I swam! I did mostly drills for 1600 yards in about 50 minutes. I quit at 1600 forgetting that I usually do 1750 in a yard pool for a mile, oops. Well, I’ll do three extra laps next time, haha.

Other: I did 20 minutes of boxing to warm up for PT one of those days.

Total: 9 sessions in about 8:42, not bad! I should have done some yoga last night but I was exhausted and went to bed as soon as I could. Oh, well.

Even on a (hopefully) short hiatus from running, I have been enjoying the evening daylight as I pedal on the trainer – I have been getting a lot of magazine reading done to distract myself from hard intervals – and driving to and from the pool or barre. I am getting antsy to take my workouts outside again. I am looking forward to a warm Saturday bike ride and an easy run out in the fresh air.

Here’s to another pretty good and consistent week. Happy training.



2 comments:

  1. Yay swimming! That's a solid week, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go so far as to say "yay, swimming" ;) but thank you!

      Delete