Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Weeks in review Feb. 25-March 3 and March 4-10: Vacation walking and two vacation runs

Hello! I’m alive! I left for vacation on the 2nd and didn’t bring my computer. I had grand plans to update my blog from my phone while I was gone but my days were consumed with taking in the sights, shops, and steaks of Buenos Aires. =)

Of course, the week before we left was busy with errands, cleaning the house, and packing, as well as a birthday dinner to celebrate my brother-in-law. As a result, I only worked out three times. I had high hopes to squeeze in one more session Friday, the day before we left, but there was just too much to do. Oh, well.

Feb. 25-March 3:

Run: Twice, both on the treadmill, for 10.25 miles in 2 hours.

Bike: Once, on the trainer, for 14.5 fake trainer miles in about an hour.

Total: Three sessions in a hair longer than three hours.

After a LOOOONG travel day on Saturday and sleeping in on Sunday, we rallied for a nice long walk to an early steak dinner. I brought my Garmin and every day I wore it I logged at least 10,000 steps, maxing out at nearly 22,000. I figured I was on vacation, so doing some walking most days was good enough.

However, I did log two actual runs while I was there. Both times, I walked about two blocks to a local park, where I did laps around the perimeter until I hit something like 4.5, and then walked home. Both were pretty easy; the air quality isn’t great in the city and it was pretty warm both days, and my hamstring is still acting up. I wasn’t trying to be a rock star, I just wanted to burn off some of that steak. =)

I’d write a nice, long blog post about running in Buenos Aires, but I literally just did laps around one park, so I don’t have much to say. Both days I ran, the park was packed with both people and dogs getting some exercise. If you do want to run there, you’ll probably be in good company. I had checked out Strava heat maps ahead of time, but when it came time to head out, I stuck with what I knew would be close by and safe. The one thing I noticed was that the park didn’t have a water fountain, where there would probably be at least one in a park that size in the U.S. So if you’re running in BA and it’s warm out, bring your own water.
Around and around and around the park I went.
March 4-10:

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 9.49 miles in about 1:45.

Honestly, I am happy with two easy runs and a lot of walking. It was vacation, after all.

I’m off to a slow start this week; we got in super late Sunday night and slept in again Monday before rallying for brunch, grocery shopping, and food prep. Sadly, I had no extra time for a workout, but I got food prep done through Thursday and even went to bed early-ish, which was a small miracle. I have a bit of a sniffle today from what I assume is travel germs, but I’m looking forward to at least an easy trainer ride to try to get back in the swing of things.

Even if you couldn’t run in Buenos Aires last week, I hope your training was also fantástico.



No comments:

Post a Comment