Friday, December 21, 2018

A great (short) day for a 5K

It was cold and drizzling by the time I escaped work early today for the holiday but I knew I wanted to do a virtual 5K today for my team, TBD Racing. I bundled up and headed out while it was still light outside, on the shortest day of the year.

I walked for a half mile and then jogged a half mile before turning on the jets. My goal was to give it my all without hurting myself for 3.1. I had to back off a few times as I approached what I call puke threshold.

I was shocked to see the first split of 8:20. I was more shocked to see an 8:16 and a 7:58 for miles 2 and 3. I was hurting by the end but my Garmin told me I had nailed a 25:24. I pretty much obliterated my goal of sub-27 by the end of the year. And I didn't have to stop or walk!

My left hamstring is a little tight, and I was limited by my cardio fitness, but I'm thrilled with the result. Plus, my Garmin also tells me I had a 7:56 mile in there somewhere. My previous fastest since my knee injury was an 8:25.5.

Not bad for a run I had to talk myself into. A little cold and a little rain couldn't stop me.
Not bad for the shortest day of the year.



2 comments:

  1. Nice work! What a way to blow your sub-27 goal out of the water. Next 5k goal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even thought about it! I think my PR is 25:04 at the end of a sprint tri years ago, so maybe 24:59.

      Delete