Monday, November 5, 2018

Week in review Oct. 29-Nov. 4: My sinuses are all dried out but I had candy!

2 x each biking, weights, run/walking, and PT.
It was an OK week. I had a good start on Monday, but my sinuses went haywire by Tuesday and all I could do was lie down with some hot tea after work. I took another day off Wednesday to pass out candy to trick-or-treaters, but I was back at it by Thursday and finished the week pretty strong.

Also, the theme of the week was “2.” As in, 2 bikes, runs, weights sessions, and PT sessions. And, 2 days off. With one yoga session on Sunday I was able to finish with 9 total workouts, which I guess is 7 + 2? OK, that’s a bit of a reach.

My sinuses have been weird off and on for a couple of weeks now. I swear I had a sinus infection a few weeks ago, but then it cleared up. On Tuesday, when all I could do was lie on the couch, I was legitimately afraid I would be sick for Halloween the next day. A good night’s sleep meant I felt a LOT better, but my sinuses have felt super dry off and on and I have been getting the occasional bloody nose. I’m not sure if they are freaking out because we turned on the heat, or it got cold, or allergies, or all of the above, or something else. I am drinking a lot of hot tea and using my neti pot once or twice a day, and it is helping.

Anyway, workouts last week were:

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 33.25 trainer miles in about 2:38. This was almost exactly the same time as last week but an extra mile, so I’ll take that as improvement.

Weights: Twice, one barre class and one heavy/body session at home, for about 2:15 total. I can’t lift as heavy as I could a few months ago but I’m going to keep at it.

Run/Walk: Twice, both on the road, for 11 miles in just less than 2 hours. This was a speed run and a longer-than-usual run, and both felt good. I did my speed “intervals” (4 x 8 minutes) at my goal half-marathon pace minus 30 seconds, and it felt fast but sustainable.

PT/Rehab: Twice for about 1:30. I should have done at least one more, but I just ran out of time before I had to run errands Saturday and do food prep Sunday. Blah.

Yoga: I’m going with the one session on Sunday night routine, this time for 15 minutes. It’s better than nothing and I definitely need it by Sunday night.

Total: 9 sessions for about 8:36.

So it was still more than one per week and one hour per day, a good mix of activities, and two rest days – I can’t complain. If I build this routine of boring consistency all winter I’ll be in good shape come next race season.



2 comments:

  1. I'm also hoping that winter consistency pays off next summer. My running feels so slow and weak but I just need to remind myself that last year this time I wasn't even running regularly so I'm already ahead of past me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I tell myself that I'm already ahead of where I was at this time last year, so that's got to count for something. =)

      Delete