Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Week in review Feb. 8-14: It's still cold.

Never in my life did I think MICHIGAN temperatures would be downright tropical compared to Texas. We're usually warm compared to our neighbors to the west (looking at you, Iowa City) even on the coldest days. But this last week has been a wild ride weather-wise!

I only got outside to run twice, on days when it wasn't that bad. Friday after work, every step felt like it was through molasses, and I had random niggles in my knee and back (?), plus I was exhausted by the busy week and had a sore throat, so I called it at 3 miles running. Sunday was certainly a sun-day and you know my new motto: "Sun's out, run's out." It was a glorious 7-miler in temps that weren't that bad. I'd gotten some decent sleep since the previous run, which seems to have made a huge difference. I'm pretty sure I had a big, doofy smile on my face the whole time.

I spent most of the rest of the week inside. I did my usual bike trainer workouts, my usual weights workouts, my usual PT, my usual yoga, etc. I did roll my boxing bag out again for one supplemental workout. The way the forecast is looking, I'll probably be doing that a few more times this winter yet.
A pretty good mix of activity, considering.
By the numbers, last week was:

Bike: Four times, all on the trainer, for 75 fake trainer miles in about 4:51. This is the same mileage as last week about two minutes faster, but I cycle through 8-10 favorite workouts anyway. 75-ish seems to be a good weekly volume for me right now.

PT/pre-hab: Six times for about 3:45. This works out to 3 sessions of my running PT and 3 sessions of mobility. I am liking this schedule, especially right now when there's nothing else going on. Breaking it up between long and sort sessions helps, and the long sessions give me a chance to catch up on the podcasts piling up from not running.

Weights: Three times of one core session, one video, and one barre app for about 2:20 total. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I ran out of steam on Saturday for a heavy lifting session, so I rallied on Sunday for a barre session. It made for a long day, but, like I said, there's not much else going on anyway.

Run: Twice, both outside, for 11 miles total in about 1:52. I am getting out and running easy when I can. Nothing too long, nothing too speedy.

Other: One improved boxing session on my bag for 30 minutes. Just something to change it up and keep the blood moving when it was too cold to get outside.

Yoga: Two Down Dog app sessions for about 30 minutes. I am still "making" myself do yoga on run days, and it's definitely not hurting. I'm sure the decreased volume isn't hurting (literally) either, but I'm sure the yoga is doing at least a bit of good for my old body.

Total: 18 sessions in about 13:47.

I've been late reviewing my weeks just because work has been pretty busy, and I'm trying to make sure I get good workouts done after work Mondays and Tuesdays, which has been helping with my mental state. I am happy to see the sun coming out earlier and staying later, which also helps. And I know March will probably bring at least one blizzard, but knowing the end is near helps as well. I really don't know what spring will bring but I won't be sorry when this winter is behind us.

I hope you are still staying safe and warm, wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment