Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Week in review Feb. 1-7: It's cold.

Without access to a good treadmill this winter, I've had to toughen up a bit and run outside in temperatures a bit colder than I would like. But as it turns out, I still have a limit, and that's about mid-20s F with a breeze. This past week was the first round of super cold temps of the season, and there were a few days when the highs didn't make it out of the teens. No, thank you. Even if I did feel comfortable going to the gym, which I don't, who wants to leave the house when it's that cold? Not me.

I squeezed in two short runs on days it wasn't TOO bad outside, sticking to a route that is well-plowed and -salted. But I had to come up with a plan B on another frigid day, and ended up dusting off my old kickboxing bag. I was randomly into cardio kickboxing back in the day, before I really took up running, and I got my own floor bag for my big Christmas present when I was in my late teens/early 20s.

I don't even remember the last time I used the bag — maybe a few years ago when I was diagnosed with my chondral fissure? But, it felt good to do something different, and I definitely felt it in my muscles the next day. If there's one downside to the swim/bike/run life, it's that there's little room to do my other sports loves. (I ordered new tennis balls last fall and never used them! I own legit dance shoes!) This was a good reminder that it's OK to do something else once in a while.
Not terrible, considering.
Cold be darned, last week was:

Bike: Four times, all on the trainer, for 75 fake trainer miles in about 4 hours, 53 minutes. I had to work a bit later than expected on Friday and got on the bike later as a result, but other than that, this was pretty business as usual.

PT/Pre-hab: Six times, three mobility and three running PT, for about 3:45. If there's one silver lining to the pandemic and the cold, it's that my PT is ON POINT. I have never done so much PT in my life and I am feeling much better niggle, mobility, and flexibility wise.

Weights: Three times, one core + one barre session via an app + one heavy/body session, for about 2:45. I'm trying to cobble together a core routine that I can do in 15 minutes once per week, and I think I finally have six exercises that are challenging me but simple enough to do in quick succession without taking too much time out of my day. The barre app I'm using isn't great, but I don't feel comfortable returning to my barre studio right now. My heavy/body weight routine hopefully is keeping things interesting to my muscles.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 9 miles in about 1:37. Nothing special here, just getting outside for short runs when it's not too cold, windy, or icy outside. Looking at the weather forecast for the next week, I honestly don't know when my next outdoor run will be, so I'm happy with whatever I can get.

Yoga: Three times, both via the Down Dog app, for 45 total minutes. I am liking this investment so far. I like how I can customize my routine (adding in a twists focus, etc.) and I am liking the excuse to disconnect for a few minutes a few times a week and just be with myself and my breath.

Other: I needed a warmup before lifting on a day that was too cold, so I dusted off my boxing bag for 30 minutes of improvised combinations. I felt this in my obliques and, randomly, my forearm grip muscles, for a day or two afterward.

Total: 19 sessions (!!!) in about 14:15. A good week, especially considering the weather.

Look, I'm not going to get into a icicle contest — I know there are plenty of other parts of the world out there that are colder than southeast Michigan right now. But for ME, with my wonky thyroid and in my early 40s, I am going to stay inside and hibernate with exceptions for very short dog walks. This coming week is supposed to get even colder and then it looks like temps will get back to normal, so we just have to tough it out. Hopefully by the end of the month we can come out of our blanket cocoons and enjoy runs around the neighborhood and walks with our mutts.

Stay safe and warm out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment