Saturday, February 20, 2021

Healthy February goals in progress

I'm trying to cut back on wine and chips this February.
I made myself a few healthy goals for February to try to keep myself motivated when the temperatures dropped and the snow piled up outside.

20 days in, I can say I'm doing pretty well at most of them:

  • Drink a full cup (my trusty 24-ounce Tervis) of water before I have a second round of coffee: I do this most weekdays, but I tend to linger over coffee on the weekends and furlough days before I jump into my to-do list. I may chug the last of my cup of water as my second round of coffee is brewing, but I am getting this done most days.
  • Refined sugar no more than once per day: I put my after-lunch ginger candies in time out, so I have only been having some chocolate after dinner most days. I'm fine with this.
  • Avoid potato chips: I had some on Super Bowl Sunday, and the leftovers a few days later, but other than that I have managed to stay away. Chips are something I just can't have in the house, so I need to reframe them as a special occasion food.
  • Avoid alcohol: I don't usually drink during the week but have been enjoying a glass of wine or two on the weekends, and I'm OK with that. 
And a couple more, with caveats:
  • At least one sun salutation per day: I wanted to work more yoga into my routine and I envisioned doing a sun salutation every day after I got out of bed, before I took the dogs on their walks. Well, it hasn't worked out that way, at all. I am still doing well with my "yoga on run days" goal that I instated in January, but more often than not, on the off days, I am doing my sun salutation as an afterthought before I head off to bed. I'll continue this goal through February, but I think this one was a miss. I DO think the yoga on run days is doing me well, and I'll continue to use that as my yoga goal. Well, I tried.
  • Bedtime: This is going terribly and is, pardon the pun, a wakeup call for the need to get my sleep cleaned up. I made A, B, and C goals to have lights out by 11 p.m., lights out by 11:30 p.m., and in bed by 11:30 p.m. (I have been getting up at 7 a.m. lately, since it's too cold for long dog walks right now) and I have been in bed by 11:30 p.m. a whopping 6 times this month. So for March, I want to really work to get into a better bedtime routine. I'm hoping that the time change and warmer weather (and sunshine) allowing morning dog walks will help me shift my day a little earlier.
Since running was totally up in the air with snow and cold, and I'm still not comfortable going to the gym or pool, I liked having a few non-training-activity-specific goals to work at this month. I'll probably make a few more for March, hopefully alongside getting back into a swim-bike-run routine.



No comments:

Post a Comment