Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Week in review Oct. 5-11: A solid week for biking and running

This week was off to a busy start right out of the gate, but I'm carving out a bit of time today to knock out some to-do list items. I went to the doctor for a checkup, I went to Target, I got coffee — the essentials. I finally have a bit of time to sit down and catch up on personal stuff.

Last week was pretty good. It was likely the last of the summer-like weather we'll have for the season, at least outside of the random unseasonably warm day. I tried to make the most of it with four runs and my longest bike ride in a year. I still have plenty of fall running ahead of me, but I already miss swimming. If nothing else, this pandemic is forcing me outside to enjoy as much of it as possible.

Other than running and biking, my week was pretty boring. We ordered in takeout and watched the presidential debate. We squeezed in one more outdoor dinner. I made some pesto with basil from my garden. Nothing too exciting, but that's OK. I feel like I don't want to invite any unnecessary excitement into my life right now.
Solid biking and running last week.
Training last week was:

Bike: Three times, twice on the trainer for 40 fake miles and once on the road for 40 real miles, for 5:46 total. After my two recent tire blowouts any descending confidence is out the window, and this was my slowest outdoor ride in a long, long time. I changed my route to do a flatter section, and it was still a fine and beautiful day, so not all was lost. Trainer rides were fine. I'm going to hold off on any big indoor ride goals until I am sure my outdoor season is done.

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 28.5 miles in about 4:49. This is coming along with two easy runs, a medium run, and a long-ish run. My knee has been kind of grumpy so I think I'm going to shift my runs around a bit so I'm not running back-to-back days, even if they are both easy. Every-other-day running without working around an outdoor ride day is more feasible.

PT/Pre-hab: Three sessions, one mobility and two PT homework routines, for about 1:25. I'm liking the extra mobility work, but still having a bit of trouble working in the longer PT. It'll probably be something I'm working on forever.

Weights: One video followed by some pushups and chinups for about 1:05. I farted around too long Saturday between morning errands and dinner, which meant I had to cut my usual weights workout.

Yoga: Just one session for about 15 minutes. 

Total: 12 sessions for about 13:20.

Not a bad week at all. Even for the not-great workouts, I tried to make the best of it. I'm in kind of a weird limbo area where I'm not ready to let go of summer, but I'm not quite ready to jump into winter training and goals. For now I'm just going to keep chugging away, trying to stay as healthy and safe as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment