Sunday, October 18, 2020

My new Hypervolt Plus -- EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

A few weeks ago I WON a Hyperice Hypervolt Plus with Bluetooth! I was so excited I may have screamed! 
... Actually, yes, I did scream with delight.
I am not a spring chicken anymore (I turn 41 in a few weeks) and I noticed that right about the time I hit 35 my body started needing a LOT more rest, recovery, and supplemental workouts. The days of banging out 55-mile weeks with no stretching or pre-hab are long behind me. I have been looking at percussive massagers for a while, especially to target my tight calves, quads, and hamstrings, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to score this beauty.

From their website, the Hypervolt Plus is quiet and lightweight (true — it’s easy to carry and I don’t need to turn up the volume on the TV when I’m using it) and pairs with your phone’s bluetooth to do a guided routine. I downloaded the app and tried a few guided routines for my calves and quads; you pretty much move the Hypervolt around whatever body part you are focusing on, and the app speeds it up and slows it down. That was a little weird at first, but it was nice to not have to do any thinking.
Select a muscle group...

 
Select a routine...



And follow along.

There are also longer routines for things like hip mobility, pre-tennis match warmup with Naomi Osaka (and other fitness trainers and athletes), and more. I am definitely trying the post-run routine soon.

It comes with five head attachments, and I found that the ball attachment seems to feel best on my calves and quads. The trigger point attachment was really nice on some tight back muscles. (Well, I made my husband do it.) When you use the app routines, it also tells you which attachment is best for each routine, so I’m looking forward to trying out the others. Hypervolt also threw in a carrying case to make it even easier for me to take this to races and maybe even the next race-cation or train-cation, whenever we can travel again. 
Handy-dandy case.
This thing ain’t cheap at $400, but if you are getting older and/or getting more serious about recovery, it would be a powerful tool in your recovery toolbox. I have definitely given it a good workout already. If you're looking at percussive massagers like I was, this one definitely gets two thumbs up from me.

Even without a routine, a few minutes on my calves feels good.



2 comments:

  1. Congrats, what a nice win! Enjoy it, I hope it's helpful. Something like that could probably help my back/hips!

    ReplyDelete