Monday, October 19, 2020

Week in review Oct. 12-18: My highest number of sessions in a long, long, long time

A darn good week.

Except for the lack of swimming, I had a near-perfect week. Four runs, three trainer rides, a buttload of PT, two weights sessions, and even two yoga sessions. It was a TON of session volume for me.

I managed it by being the most boring person on earth and barely leaving the house. I did have to work not one but two late nights last week, which I wasn't happy about. But, I actually managed to do my PT during a Zoom town hall and wrap up a public meeting with enough time to do an abbreviated trainer ride so, I'm considering that a success.

It's getting colder and we are preparing to hunker down. I am nearly positive my outdoor cycle season is over, unless I buy a fat tire bike for snow riding. I (very unhappily) broke out the running tights and ear bands last week. I enjoyed a hot apple cider instead of a cold LaCroix after a run for the first time this season. It's enough to make me want to work remotely from Florida... if the whole country weren't in a pandemic. Sigh.

Hopefully last week presages good workouts to come:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 27.5 miles in about 4:33. This was an easy Monday run (I'm calling them Meander Mondays, haha), one run that vaguely resembled speed work, and two medium runs. I had good intentions for a long run on Sunday, especially since it was the day the Detroit Free Press Marathon would have been, but the thought of doing 10 miles worth of laps around my usual route was absolutely unbearable. For some reason an hour didn't seem bad at all, so that's what I did instead. It was cold and breezy anyway, so better to cut it a bit short and live to run another day.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 51 fake trainer miles in about 3:21. This was a regular one-hour ride and a longer 1.5-hour ride on Saturday, plus the abbreviated ride after my late meeting on Thursday. I could have skipped but I was very glad to do SOMETHING. That is hard for me as an all-or-nothing type person so I think I get a pat on the back for that.

PT/Pre-hab: This is probably the most PT/pre-hab I've done since I was actually going to the physical therapy clinic three times a week. I managed SIX, yes SIX, sessions in about 2.5 hours. This was three longer sessions of my running rehab and three shorter mobility sessions. I am LOVING mixing it up with the different moves and every other session taking not as long, to be honest. Hey, whatever gets me to do the work.

Weights:
Twice, one online barre class and one heavy/body session, for about 2:25. This was the first time doing things like hanging pullups and weighted squats in a while and I was (OK, I still am) FEELING it.

Yoga: TWICE for 15 minute each time, 30 minutes total. I haven't done yoga more than once in a week in a while. Once a week feels good, and twice a week is exponentially better; I just need to make myself make time for it.

Total: 17 sessions (!!!!!) in about 13:19. Not a huge amount of volume as far as time goes, but that is a LOT of weekly sessions.

As much as I know winter is coming I am trying to put it off as long as possible by not making winter training goals, not moving my runs to morning, and not even looking into indoor pool swimming. Oh well. I am really hopeful fall weather will come back for another visit so I can do a few runs in the crunchy leaves and fall colors. I've even looking at coordinating virtual turkey trots among family members for something to look forward to.

What a weird year! Stay safe out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment