Monday, July 13, 2020

Week in review July 6-12: Severe heat, snakes, and swimming outside

Lots of biking!
Last was another good week for volume and for variety of training. My left hip flexor/psoas is still a little wonky, but I managed two easy runs with no problems. I got to the outdoor pool not once, but twice, for two great if not short and easy swims.

Although it was in the 90s most of the week I still went to my favorite park for a couple of bike laps. It was hot, but there was a breeze and some leaf cover, so it was tolerable. What I was NOT expecting to see on one of the rollers was the biggest snake I have ever seen in the wild in Michigan. We only have one venomous snake here (one advantage to cold winters) so I'm 99% sure it was just a big garter snake, but I still screamed SO loudly. Another cyclist coming the other way just started laughing; he obviously knew what I was screaming about. I saw the cyclist again on the way back and he jokingly warned me, "He's still there!" but I didn't see the snake again. I would have stopped to take his picture — he was ginormous!

I ended up skipping my run Thursday because of the heat and humidity. When it's this bad, mornings aren't tolerable because it's so humid you sweat as soon as you start running. And it was already into the 90s by the time I wrapped up work, and I just was not feeling it. It became a rest day.

Other than that, my week was pretty boring, which is just how I like it:

Bike: Three times, two on the trainer for 38 fake miles and once on the road for 36.7 real miles, for about 5:12 total. I can't beat the excitement of a hot, snake-filled ride.

Weights: Twice, one online barre class and once through my heavy/body routine, for about 2:15. I am SORE from doing pullups and chinups after skipping the week before.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 11 miles in about 1:53. This was once in the morning before work taking my hyper lab mix for the last mile (best! day! ever!) and once on Saturday before it got too ridiculously hot. Both boring and slow.

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 3200 meters in about 1:32. I've been doing half drills and half straight 800 because it's not like I'll be racing soon, so might as well just swim to say fresh and in shape.

PT: Two of my homework sessions for about 1:10.

Yoga: Just once for 20 minutes.

Total: 12 sessions in about 12:22. Not bad!

This is about what I can do, safely, without creating too much stress for myself, so I'm going to run with it. I would also like to come on here more often than a weekly recap, but some days the stress of the pandemic gets to me and I don't do much else other than work and make dinner. Right now, it's all one big balancing act for remaining mental energy.

I hope you are all staying safe and healthy, and getting in some swim, bike, and run when you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment