Monday, June 1, 2020

Week in review May 25-31: Training continues to keep me grounded during this time

A good variety of training last week.
It feels trite to write about training as we're in the middle of a pandemic, while people of color die at the hands of those who are supposed to protect them, but I'll document this one sliver of normalcy in my life right now for my own posterity.

My city had a curfew tonight and yesterday, but since I usually run right after work anyway, it hasn't affected me much, yet. We heard helicopters and firecrackers last night, and I detoured Friday's run because a peaceful march was heading the other way. Other than that, I am far enough away from downtown that I should be safe. If the doo-doo really hits the fan, my in-laws live out in the sticks.

Here's what happened last week training-wise:

Run: Four times, all on the road, for 29.6 miles in about 5:03. This was a fun Memorial Day "5K" with my husband (followed by pancakes and bacon), a very hot and slow-ish long run, a started-out-feeling-like-garbage-but-gradually-got-better speed run, and a slog of an easy run. The theme of the week was no frills, just get the miles done.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 55 fake trainer "miles" for about 3:40. This was two, 1-hour long rides during the week and one longer weekend ride. I'm not doing anything special here since there won't be any races any time soon; I'm just keeping the feel for the bike in my legs.

Weights: Twice, one video and one of my heavy/body routines, for about 2:20. Since I don't have anything better to do on the weekends I've added a few extra moves for a few extra minutes here and there.

PT: Three homework sessions for about 1:45. Doing this three times per week really seems to make a difference to keeping my glutes and hips strong enough to run 30 miles a week.

Yoga: Three times, all self-guided, for about 45 minutes. I snuck in one extra session and I definitely needed it.

Total: 15 sessions in about 13 hours, 33 minutes.

Except for skipping dryland (which, as I'll write about later, I kind of don't see the point right now), this was about as good a week as I could have hoped for training-wise.

Please stay safe out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment