Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Week in review June 15-21: Long work days and a still-wonky hip

Not terrible, considering.
Last week was a perfect poop storm of my hip still being weird, a late work night, and the first plans with friends in months. There wasn't a lot of trainer riding and barely any running, but I did manage a decent amount of weights, PT, and yoga. At least I did something.

I was afraid I had really hurt my left hip, but now I think it's just a hip flexor strain. It started hurting after my 11-miler almost two weeks ago, when it was super hot and muggy. I think I just got tired and my form disintegrated to the point I was hurting myself. Doing a speed run a few days later sealed the deal. I only did two very tentative runs last week, but that was enough to determine that I need to take a few more days off yet to let things rest.

I ended up taking three days off training last week. I don't even remember what was going on Monday after work, but I ended up working in the garden instead of doing any training. I had to work an event late Thursday and I was so exhausted by the end there was no way I was doing anything, so that was another day off. And we went to an (outdoors, socially distanced) dinner with friends Friday, so I didn't do any training that day, either. I figured my hip being weird was as good a hint as any to take an easy week.

I did get done:

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 40 fake trainer miles in about 2:36. Nothing exciting here.

Weights: Twice, one online barre class and one of my heavy/body routines, for about 2:15. I am happy with this, with one caveat. I was focused on improving my pullups and chinups for a while, and was doing them twice a week. Then, I really stopped caring that much, and only do them as part of my heavy/body routine. But... I'm still improving??? Last week I did more standing chinups, standing pullups, hanging chinups, AND hanging pullups than I ever have. So, even once per week seems to be enough to improve.

PT: Three homework sessions followed by rolling out my quads and calves for about 1:45.

Run: Only twice last week, and only for 5.5 miles in about 1:05. This was one super easy run with my husband and one easy run in the beating down heat on Saturday. Nothing special here. I'm going to keep running easy and infrequently until my hip stops hurting.

Yoga: Twice, on my own, for about 35 minutes. I added a few mobility-focused movements to my Wednesday session.

Total: 11 sessions in about 8:15. Not terrible, considering three days off and a niggle in my hip.

I know I'm already a day late for last week, but I've been surprisingly busy recently. I'm still working full-time four days a week, and trying to cram in a lot of training on the weekends and my furlough day. I'm still walking the dogs for an hour in the morning, and I'm still cooking dinner almost every night. I made paella last week!!! (It was amazing.) So, while I'd like to say my house is immaculate, my garden is perfectly kept, and every drawer and cupboard is organized, that would be a blatant lie.

But, I'm doing ok. I have good days and hard days, but we're staying hunkered down for the most part, and trying to stay safe. I'm glad I have my training (and my dogs) to help keep me sane through all this.
Some very delicious paella I made.

Apparently it was a rough morning of barking at the neighborhood squirrels.



2 comments:

  1. Hope the hip flexor strain starts to feel better soon. Have you got a bar set up for doing your chinups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the one that fits onto a door frame. I should leave it up all the time so I do them more often, but ...

      Delete