Monday, June 8, 2020

Week in review June 1-7: A bit of a break

Hey guys. I've been taking it easy and lying low this past week. There have been marches through my town, and we've been on a curfew, and I feel right now I should step aside and let others talk. I've been thinking a lot about the discussion surrounding being not racist vs. being anti-racist, and how I can educate myself and learn.

I've seen a lot of people sharing profiles of people of color on social media. Here are two if you don't follow them already: Sika Henry, who is trying to become the first Black female pro triathlete, and Ayesha McGowan, who recently became the first Black female pro cyclist. (The fact that it's 2020 and we are still working on the first female anything is a rant for another day.)
Not a bad week, all things considered.
The curfews and marches and work and heat and general pandemic stress got to me and I needed to take a few easy days this week. I still did my long run Wednesday, but I spent the afternoon and evening bringing a raised garden bed to my parents' house. I hadn't seen my dad, and neither of my parents had seen my dogs, since Christmas. We stayed 6 feet apart and ate dinner on their back deck and tried to make the most of it.

Friday was ridiculously hot and I tapped out for the evening, doing nothing except watching TV and relaxing. I did go out for a speed run Saturday but I WAY underestimated the heat and didn't bring a water bottle. I struggled through but was ZAPPED by the end and only did light garden work for the rest of the day. I didn't even cook dinner that night, and that's saying something.

I was able to rally yesterday and did a bunch of supplemental training after my bike ride. It felt good to finally lift some weights and stretch.

Overall, it worked out to be:

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 26 miles in 4:15. I skipped an easy run but everything else was on schedule.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 55 fake trainer miles in about 3:39. This is a typical week for me lately, and nothing out of the ordinary.

PT: Twice for about 1:10. I slacked off in the middle of the week but did rally on Sunday for a second round, so it wasn't a total loss.

Weights: One online barre class for about 55 minutes. I was too zapped Saturday to do my usual weights workout, so barre on Sunday was a nice compromise.

Yoga: Just one 15-minute session this week.

Total: 10 sessions for about 10:14. By no means my best week, but I was tired and appreciated the decrease in volume for a bit.

Weather is supposed to be all over the place this week, and our curfew is lifted, so I'm not sure how much training I'll be able to do and on what days. I'm still going to try to be careful of the pandemic and conscientious of any marches or demonstrations taking place. Our stay-at-home order has loosed up a bit but I'm still not comfortable doing group anything right now. So, like any other time, I'll be doing the best I can with what I've got.

I hope you are all staying safe and healthy out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment