Monday, May 13, 2019

Week in review May 6-12: A busy, crabby bee

About as good a week as I was expecting.
Last week was difficult and busy, but I knew it was coming and tried to plan ahead as much as possible. I got solid workouts or PT done Monday through Friday, even if I had to move some stuff around to make it work.

I had another week of consistency on the bike trainer, yay me! I had to move one trainer ride to 5:30 a.m., and I was a bit worried I wouldn’t be able to make my power numbers, but somehow I did. I also had to move my usual Saturday ride to Friday evening, but I knew that was going to be my last shot for a good workout for the week and was able to rally for a nice, challenging ride. I used the yummy steak dinner I had planned afterward as motivation to make it worth my while.

Saturday and Sunday were complete washes as I had to work all day Saturday and was busy all day Sunday with Mother’s Day and then food prep for the week. I didn’t get to sleep in at all either day and was exhausted and short-tempered (my boss’ boss once called me salty, which… isn’t wrong) by bedtime. I forced myself to be semi-social when I wasn’t working or food prepping this weekend but it took a toll on me. I am getting crabby in my old age, I guess!

Also, I just realized that now I have gone two weekends without opening a bottle of wine – what!!! I don’t think I had a drink all weekend except a mimosa at brunch. I would say being tired caused that healthy silver lining, but I did eat half of a chocolate pumpkin bread I found in the freezer, so that pretty much cancels out any calories saved by my inadvertent teetotaling, haha. I did eat salad for lunch every day and dinner at home every night, so that’s something.

Anyway, my workouts shook out to be:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 53.25 fake trainer miles in about 3:34. My one true success this week. I really want to try to get outside for a ride this weekend if the weather holds.

PT: One in-person therapy session and one homework session for about 1:30. Again, the bare minimum. I’m not going to get any stronger if I only do the bare minimum.

Weights: One 55-minute video. Eh, still a victory, and I made sure to use challenging weights. I felt it the next day.

Total: 6 sessions in a hair less than 6 hours. Not terrible, considering.

I have another busy week this week, but most of the busy-ness should be at the latter half of the week. These first few days should be the eye of the storm and I am going to try to front load workouts, food prep, errands, and anything else I can knock out ahead of time. Thursday, Friday, and Sunday will probably be complete washes. I might try to get up early one of those days for a workout but… we’ll see. I have been skimping on sleep lately and I need that, too.

Some good news is this past week was the first in a long time I didn’t notice any of that pinching pain right where my hamstring meets my pelvis, so I don’t know if it was something my PT did last week or if I am finally starting to get stronger. I do still want to see a running form coach or physio but I’m going to wait until after I get cleared to return to running and probably after this next busy week, so after Memorial Day is looking like a reasonable goal.

Like last week, my goal for this week is to do what I can do, eat healthfully, try to get some sleep, and hope for the best. I can take a break next Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment